Winter jacket.

plowmar
plowmar Posts: 1,032
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
At the moment I have an old Karrimor rainproof, fleecy jacket that I bought when I was 4 stone heavier and am looking to replace it. Unfortunately Karrimor no longer do cycling gear re their web site, so guys can you give me any suggestions. Price up to £200.

I have already looked at Mavic and Assos from a previous posting but both only claim to be wind proof, is that the same as warm?

Bit of a hurry as Mrs. P wants to get me a jacket for Christmas, so please help.

Comments

• glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Been very impressed with the Gore Phantom II . It has detachable arms which was great last month when it was still a bit warmer. Very versatile and very well made. The windproof material is fantastic and it's still breathable.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Assos 851 approx £150. Roubaix fabric but good use of Airblock material on front and shoulders. Different base layers make it quite versatile through Winter.
    M.Rushton
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    mrushton wrote:
    Assos 851 approx £150. Roubaix fabric but good use of Airblock material on front and shoulders. Different base layers make it quite versatile through Winter.
    +1 - everything he said ....
  • Dadmo
    Dadmo Posts: 61
    Yep - Assos 851. Wore mine this morning for a 40-miler, max temperature 1 degree C. Just had an Assos 'early winter' base layer underneath, and was perfectly warm. Couldn't feel my face when I got back, mind you - but I draw the line at a balaclava.
  • I'm currently using an Endura Stealth jacket with a DHB merino base layer, warm enough and waterproof.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Anything gore windstopper, softshell.

I can vouch for the Assos too, and Giordana ones. And etxeondo, but they cost loads.
  • andrew 7
    andrew 7 Posts: 133
    +1 for the Gore phantom II , check the sizing tho , its quite a relaxed fit - i had to go down a size
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Assos 851 is a great hard wearing all round jacket. I'd suggest getting a size larger than normal to allow for additional base layers as it's a tight fitting jacket at the best of times.
    Much more difficult is trying to figure out what makes for a decent pair of gloves!!
    Peter
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Never buy assos too big.
    Get the size you are on the size chart. It is cut to fit the bike, and I'm sick of seeing riders in Assos that hangs off them.
  • has to be assos an 851 jacket, unless its really cold then a fugu is the very best - not cheap, but then quality never is ,
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Assos 851 disciple here. Toasty warm even in minus 10 degree weather (or colder with appropriate baselayer!)
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Never buy assos too big.
    Get the size you are on the size chart. It is cut to fit the bike, and I'm sick of seeing riders in Assos that hangs off them.
    That certainly isn't likely to be a problem with the 851 jacket - if you have ever tried one on. My recommendation is forget charts, go to a shop which stocks Assos and find one that fits. Charts/ internet purchase is a risky game to save a few ££.
    Peter
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Castelli Mannaggia is a cracker and much better looking than the Assos IMHO. Plenty warm enough as I rode in 0 degs with a s/sleeve light base only and was toasty warm. Shop around for deals though as it can be pricey.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Assos 851 is a good benchmark to measure other jackets by but the fit isn't for everyone.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    plowmar wrote:
    At the moment I have an old Karrimor rainproof, fleecy jacket that I bought when I was 4 stone heavier and am looking to replace it. Unfortunately Karrimor no longer do cycling gear re their web site, so guys can you give me any suggestions. Price up to £200.

I have already looked at Mavic and Assos from a previous posting but both only claim to be wind proof, is that the same as warm?

Bit of a hurry as Mrs. P wants to get me a jacket for Christmas, so please help.

£200 on a cycling jacket ........... f**k me. I wouldn't buy Assos. There are plenty of other brands which offer excellent performance and durability at a fraction of Assoss's eye wateringly high prices.

I have just got one of these Karrimor jackets £59.99 reduced to £24.99. It's brilliant - very well made and breathable. Although not a specific cycling jacket as such it's as good as. I got the small size which fits me perfectly with a base layer and couple of other layers beneath I was lovely and warm today in minus -6C rising to a heady -2C this afternoon. Of course if you want to spend a whole lot more then go ahead but there really isn't any need. You could probably get a Karrimore winter fleece gore tex jacket for about £70 in the sales.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-li ... e=44228308

How about this Karrimore jacket with fleece lining for £49.99 down from £99.99? http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-3- ... e=44407408

Hope these suggestions are a help.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Another Mannaggia owner here and the red/black/white really does look the part. My only gripe with it is that even with just a baselayer on I find it can be overkill on anything but the coldest of rides. As per Bigpickle, I got mine for under £200 but it's RRP was nearer £250!

I also have a Castelli Leggerezza which gets all year round far more use. It doesn't have the same windstopping qualities of the Mannaggia but you can zip the arms off to make a Gillet and with a decent baselayer and maybe a winter jersey it's good for all but sub-zero rides.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Also looking for winter jacket windproof/showerproof. Has any one got the Pissei Cuore Italiano Roubaix Windtex Jacket from Planet X. Looks to be good spec and looks good aswell. Only £99 at the moment.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Liking my mavic inferno lots so far - only 3 rides as yet, but nearly 3 hours around zero in the falling snow on Weds with just a thin base layer and was toasty. More features than the competition - chest pocket for your energy bars, pit and arm vents if you get warm, built in stow away balaclava, two layer cuffs to sandwich your gloves in etc etc. Bolt blue colour is good and bright as well. £160 ish.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    dilemna wrote:
    plowmar wrote:

£200 on a cycling jacket ........... f**k me. I wouldn't buy Assos. There are plenty of other brands which offer excellent performance and durability at a fraction of Assoss's eye wateringly high prices.

Yeah, but you're obviously just 'careful' with your money. Assos is expensive for a reason. It works REALLY well and lasts forever. And Assos will pretty much repair it for free for life also.

It's an investment, not just clothing for one winter. Even the second hand stuff sells for good prices!
  • Another +1 for Assos & Gore Phantom II

And I agree absolutely about sizing. Gore in a Large is good on my shoulders but loose around the middle. The Assos in XL is snug all over - especially the middle - I don't think I could breathe in a Large.

The Gore is better value (I could have bought 2 at the price I paid for the price of the Assos) but the Assos is beautifully made. The only odd thing I find about the Gore is that the reflective stripes on the arms seem to end up rolled in towards the inside.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Lagavulin wrote:

I also have a Castelli Leggerezza which gets all year round far more use. It doesn't have the same windstopping qualities of the Mannaggia but you can zip the arms off to make a Gillet and with a decent baselayer and maybe a winter jersey it's good for all but sub-zero rides.

Used mine for the first time today at 0 degrees and I was pleasantly surprised. I only had a short sleeved Under Armour base layer under it and I was more than comfortable... :D
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • The Foska winter jackets are good (£80).
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    i would have recommended the Fugu but it's stupidly expensive unless you get a discount. if you can find one, the Assos Gatorjack was bonkers warm but discontinued a while back. My partner has an expensive Castelli (£200) that she really rates.
    M.Rushton
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Pokerface wrote:
    And Assos will pretty much repair it for free for life also.

Thats interesting PF. Do you mean Zips and the like or Holes n Tears.

I've just bought a 851 ltd ed Revolution for 159, looking forward to trying it sometime this week, if it turns up !
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • Very VERY happy with my Gore Tool.

Should be less than £110 on Wiggle today. (with discount).
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • What's the advantage of a winter jacket over a LS or even SS jersey with appropriate baselaying /armwarmers? There's an obvious disadvantage in the bulk and cost. Is the advantage mainly in the warmth for those who need it? If you could be as warm using a LS jersey and baselayer would you rather use that?

Ignore rain as some of us rarely go out in that or take gillets etc.
  • What's the advantage of a winter jacket over a LS or even SS jersey with appropriate baselaying /armwarmers? There's an obvious disadvantage in the bulk and cost. Is the advantage mainly in the warmth for those who need it? If you could be as warm using a LS jersey and baselayer would you rather use that?

flexibility innit

I probably wouldn't go for a heavy winter jacket (except to commuet maybe) as I'd boil up at the higher ranges of exertion

a windproof / semi-waterproof jersey (endura FS260 pro jetstream - recommend it, only £60!) over a warm baselayer I found was perfect for my training ride on Saturday morning

anything totally waterproof or a bit more insulated and I would've been drenched and therefore v cold on the ride home
  • KnightsofTights - you are following me around the winter clothing threads!! LOL.

:wink:

individual resistance to cold /heat is a big factor in these discussions. I suffer less than most in the cold and also place a premium on wearing fairly minimalist gear - i feel less encumbered, faster and normally more comfortable. It's a serious question as I've never owned a cycling jacket and don't feel I've lost out through not doing so. teh range of vests, baselayers, jerseys, armwarmers and gilets etc available now makes me wonder what the advantage of a jacket is. I guess some jackets are pretty much just more wind and waterproof jerseys if they are close fitting enough?
  • KnightsofTights - you are following me around the winter clothing threads!! LOL.

:wink:

individual resistance to cold /heat is a big factor in these discussions. I suffer less than most in the cold and also place a premium on wearing fairly minimalist gear - i feel less encumbered, faster and normally more comfortable. It's a serious question as I've never owned a cycling jacket and don't feel I've lost out through not doing so. teh range of vests, baselayers, jerseys, armwarmers and gilets etc available now makes me wonder what the advantage of a jacket is. I guess some jackets are pretty much just more wind and waterproof jerseys if they are close fitting enough?

hehe, nothing like some in-depth kit chat to kill a slow Monday at work, eh? :wink:

I'm fairly new to this cycling lark so am trying to use as much of my running gear as possible - not that I'm tight, I just don't want to go splashing loads of cash on unnecessary gear.

But the montane windshirt I have that is great for running is 1) too loose and flappy; 2) is purely a pertex shell, so no warmth whatsoever to combat the windchill on a bike; and 3) no lumbar pocket to stick stuff in

So I got that endura jersey / jacket and it's just the ticket - it's still pretty minimal and will get used right through to late spring I'm sure.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think Long sleeve tops can be fine for spring/autumn weather - but for full winter - its got to be a windproof jacket for me. If (god forbid) it gets warm whilst I'm out on a ride, I can always unzip it a bit.

Theres no fun in doing a 4 or 5 hour ride and at the far point the wind gets up, or you have a mechanical and get cold getting it fixed. I'd rather err on the side of warmth.