carbon frame and qr seat clamp pressure releasing idea.

Devastazione
Devastazione Posts: 280
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I currently use Hope as a seat clamp on both bikes. I've heard that a qr seat clamp is not carbon friendly at all....is it true ?? I was considering in squeezing a flat piece of rubber between the clamp and the carbon,would this somehow ease the pressure or it's just not worth the hassle ???
Specialized Tarmac Sworks
Canyon Spectral 8.9

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    makes no difference. if everything is the right size.

but note some frame makers state the splits in the clamp and the frame must be at 180 to each other. Some dont say so.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    makes no difference. if everything is the right size.

Thanks for the reply.

If I open the clamp on my X Control the seat post immediately drops down,is this a sign that something is wrong here already ??
    This thing does not happen on my Zesty,wich is 2 months old only compared to the X Control wich is 6 months old.
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    not necessarily but check that you have the correct diameter post for the frame.

contact manufacturer for frame diameter - measure seat post with vernier caliper; ther should be not more than 0.2 mm difference.

careful with clamps and carbon frames - I onluy have 1 carbon frame and the area near the end has aluminium insert so you don't clamp driectluy onto the carbon frame.