frozen everything on a bike, what to do?

u05harrisb
u05harrisb Posts: 531
edited November 2010 in MTB general
went out this morning -6, got the bike out little lower pressure than i left them i think but shrugged it off it wasnt flat thought it would be better because of all the snow, went out gears dont change and the brakes dont work! 1.5 miles in flat hummm...so get out a super patch pop it on glue doesnt work hummm...get the other tube out from my saddle bag cant get the wheel out the QR's have frozen hummm...manage to beat it out and change the tube, goes flat once again dispite nothing in the carcass of the tyre hummm...suck or what! what to do guys i have v brakes so cables for gears and brakes, not to sure if its just the machanical mech stuff or not, and how to tyres and tubes fair to being in upto -10 over night, i think the puncture might have been because they were so brittle from being so cold.

what do you guys think any advice tips or anything at all?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    poor maintenance of the cables. either water in them or lube that has thickened up. most likely the former.

punctures not through it being too cold. -10 is nothing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Oh and please use punctuation next time, I gave up trying to understand what you had written! :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All I saw was hummmmm er hummmm er ooo hummmmmm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    In this event you lick the frozen areas to melt them.
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    One suggestion (from my better half) "put it on the turbo trainer instead".

Now why didn't she suggest that to me before I took the bike out this morning?
  • Oh and please use punctuation next time; I gave up trying to understand what you had written! :(

FTFY
  • jj1048
    jj1048 Posts: 107
    wee on it.

Told my mate to do that when his chain froze when we did the Skyline in the snow. He wasn't keen on getting his nob out in -5 temperatures tho.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    jj1048 wrote:
    wee on it.

Told my mate to do that when his chain froze when we did the Skyline in the snow. He wasn't keen on getting his nob out in -5 temperatures tho.
    Sounds like he was trying to hide the fact he doesnt have one. -5 is nothing!
  • ploppy
    ploppy Posts: 173
    jj1048 wrote:
    wee on it.

Sounds like he was trying to hide the fact he doesnt have one. -5 is nothing!

dont think mine would have much length either in -5, not that it's of much length anyway. oh well, it's the girlfriends problem, not mine.
    go flat out or fall out!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    hummmmm, my heads smashed now after trying to read tha! :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.