Halfords... Hmmm

jklash1987
jklash1987 Posts: 136
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Took my bike in today to see if they can replace my BB (as it has quite a bit of play in it).
The Assistant said it can be replaced, but I would have to pay for a new BB.
But I have only had the bike since september
I do use the bike everyday but surely a deacent BB should last longer than 2months?
Should this be considered a falt & be replaced for free? Or is he right in stating I should pay for a new one?
If they are willing to replace bikes for free, Why not a BB??
Whats your opinion?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the bike, chainset, BB, and how many miles in what conditions?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    2 months is not really a long time, but bearings are normally classed as wear & tear.

Has the bike been jetwashed? Had it's free tune up service?

I'd speak to the manager rather than the shop assistant though, a decent shop should replace it FOC as a gesture of good will, 2 months is not really fit for purpose (if it's not been abused & installed/ maintained correctly)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic wrote:
    What is the bike, chainset, BB, and how many miles in what conditions?

GT-I Drive 5, Truvativ Firex 3.1, GXB BB, about 2/3 Miles a Day, Depends on the weather of that day, Has been through Rain, Cold, and dry conditions since September, No snow... yet.
    Andy B wrote:
    2 months is not really a long time, but bearings are normally classed as wear & tear.

Has the bike been jetwashed? Had it's free tune up service?

I'd speak to the manager rather than the shop assistant though, a decent shop should replace it FOC as a gesture of good will, 2 months is not really fit for purpose (if it's not been abused & installed/ maintained correctly)

The Assistant, or the Bike michanic, said It can't be converd as warrenty due to moving parts.
    It hasnt been jetwashed, I havent had time to book the bike in for a service, I booked it in for Dec 6th... Finaly lol.
    I don't feel Ive abbused it, I am a high gear masher, But surely this should of been designed for that type of use... I'm not sure about insterlation, I didn't instal it, but It was checked over before it left the store.
  • supersonic
    Does sound like you have a reasonable claim. The moving parts thing is nonsense. Wear and tear does apply to some items, but the length of time you have had it, and usage, to me means it is faulty.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited November 2010
    Wear and tear and small print in warranty means nothing. 2 months is not fit for purpose and you have basic statutory consumer rights that goods must be fit for purpose and be of a quality that last for a period typical for that product.

As for "can't be covered due to moving part", utter BS. Warranty or not.

I suspect the BB just wasn't fitted right in the first place though. If there's play in it, have you just tried tightening it?

Also, with the I-Drive, are you sure it's the BB? The suspension pivots can also cause play (along with various creaking noises) that seem at first glance to be the BB.

There's a good guide to I-Drive pivot maintenance here (almost certainly Halfords won't touch or understand them):
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/w ... epair.html

But if it's so new, just kick up a fuss with the manager and mention trading standards. They must sort it out, whether they like it or not.

If it's due the free service, I'd insist it was sorted out for free as part of that. As I say, probably just something needs tightening up and/or fitting properly.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Does sound like you have a reasonable claim. The moving parts thing is nonsense. Wear and tear does apply to some items, but the length of time you have had it, and usage, to me means it is faulty.

Thanks for the help once agian.
    Il speak to manager like andy B said above aswell.
    deadkenny wrote:
    Wear and tear and small print in warranty means nothing. 2 months is not fit for purpose and you have basic statutory consumer rights that goods must be fit for purpose and be of a quality that last for a period typical for that product.

As for "can't be covered due to moving part", utter BS. Warranty or not.

I suspect the BB just wasn't fitted right in the first place though. If there's play in it, have you just tried tightening it?

Also, with the I-Drive, are you sure it's the BB? The suspension pivots can also cause play (along with various creaking noises) that seem at first glance to be the BB.

There's a good guide to I-Drive pivot maintenance here (almost certainly Halfords won't touch or understand them):
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/w ... epair.html

But if it's so new, just kick up a fuss with the manager and mention trading standards. They must sort it out, whether they like it or not.

If it's due the free service, I'd insist it was sorted out for free as part of that. As I say, probably just something needs tightening up and/or fitting properly.

No Trust me its the BB, like i said, its play, not noise, U can see the crank arms move up and down with in the BB. I would try and tighten it, but I dont have the HTII or GXB bb Tool to do so. lol.
    I kno the pivots creak, squeek, tick etc, theat doesn't bother me though, i got some marine grade grease for that... when the time comes, I strip it down n grease it up, Thanks for the link ;) .

I was just confused to why He said I would have to pay... When I got back, I'l make sure that I won't have to :D
    They are ment to be re-bleeding my brakes, though they probably won't... I asked before and the 'Mechanic' said, no they don't need it... Well, the Effin do now lol.
  • supersonic
    The GXP system is unadjustable anyway, uses an expanding rubber spacer.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's a Truvativ BB, I'm surprised it lasted til you were out of the shop! Though it does sound like it might be that the crank's not fitted right.
    Uncompromising extremist