looking for a new headset - which one do I need?

sh7436
sh7436 Posts: 17
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello everyone,

My enduro '10 recently started to develop a very disturbing clicking/creaking noise. I have taken the headset apart a few times re-greasing everything as well as buying a shiny Thomson stem and re-torquing everything correctly yet: No joy.

To recreate the sound All i need to do is put pressure on the bars and forks and it clicks as I push down. I have checked to make sure the hub isn't loose, crown etc.

My LBS inspected it and they said the headset was damaged....don't ask me how how that could have happened! :(

So basically I want to buy a new headset but i'm extremely confused about which type I need.

I have a 1 1/8" -> 1.5" Tapered Steerer, with a Cane Creek Threadless Headset 'Campy style upper' and 1.5 inch lower cartridge bearing.

I would quite like to buy a Hope one as I hear they are very good but I just don't know whether an integrated, semi-integrated, step-down etc is right for me, or if i need to buy a separate upper and lower part?

I would very much appreciate some help on this matter.

Thanks in advance! :)
Simon

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    are the cups visible? or just the top surface of them?

speshs webby is down so it is hard to guess.

or post up pics.

but if i had to guess i would say Zero stack/semi integrated/internal
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sh7436
    Here are some pics. I just took. Sorry they're rubbish quality, my camera has no battery atm so iphone will have to do!

2e1dtsn.jpg

14o6hr4.jpg

nwdb80.jpg

Let me know if you want any others

Thanks Very much

Simon
  • sh7436
    oops forgot one picture:

o523h2.jpg

regards
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Campy style, hmmm, I think they use a 45x45 bearing for an integrated headset ie no cups:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -standards

Are there any cups for the bearings in the upper part of the headtube? You photo does not show that.
  • sh7436
    What exactly do you mean by cups? There are the two sealed bearing cartridges, one with the red rubber and one with the blue for upper and lower parts respectively which just push into the headtube.

I called the nearest specialized shop to me earlier and they didn't know either, which was helpful, but he thought it might be integrated....maybe.

From your park tools link (which is very helpful btw) Ive narrowed it down to The IS type and found the model on the a random website but that doesnt really say much more than we already know:

http://www.vpcomponents.com/headset_sho ... 11&pid=119

As nicklouse said above it looks like a special integrated type with zero stack and differently sized cartridges!. Now I just cant seem to find any headsets that come with the 1 1/8" upper and 1 1/2" lower parts. Its all either 1 1/8" or 1 1/2" hmmmm

Regards
  • sh7436
    Oh I forgot to say I noticed earlier on that my star fangled nut is wonky in the steerer and one of the 3 "legs" is bent up alot more than the other two. Could this perhaps be the cause of my clicking noise in the fact that with the star nut at an angle, the force from the crown bolt is now not pulling the steerer properly up in the headtube and so the forks are slightly loose....therefore when pressure is applied the forks move and creak?!

Does that sound completely unreasonable?

Many thanks for your help
  • sh7436
    Right, I might have found the type I need:

Hope "Combi" (stepdown in some places) Headset which is 1 1/8" Top with a 1 1/2" Bottom.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... bi_Headset
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18085

Would this still work with the 13mm stack height?

Warm Regards
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    I don't think that would cause the creaking because once the pressure is applied to the stem and the stem is tightened up all the force should be taken by the stem. However it does sound a bit concerning that the SFW is not straight and is bent as you described.
  • sh7436
    Ah right, I didn't realise that. I thought the pressure was shared across the stem bolts and the crown. you learn something everyday.

I have bought a Hope 1.5 Stepdown headset as I have now found out for sure this is to fit 1 1/8" -> 1 1/2" just like I need. Plus it comes with their "Hed Doktor" so I will take the opportunity to remove the Star nut and use that instead. Two birds with one stone.

Many thanks for all your input and I will let you know how i get on!