9-36 10spd cassette?

dirtbiker100
dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Would it be possible for someone (SRAM, shimano, hope) to make a usable 9-36 cassette. With hope demoing a cassette that fits into the hub, could this kind of thing give a 9-36 range?
Of course its going to give a bigger gap between gears but for most uses would this not be ideal?

/edit - or is half the point of the hope cassette it being 9-36?
looking around it seems they definitely are doing it...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well IIRC the hope cassette is more of a freehub with teeth. so only for thier hybs.

DT, i belive have done a special for Spesh.

But in both cases they will not work with any standard hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    A 9 tooth sprocket won't fit a standard freehub.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Shimano do Capreo for small wheeled bikes, which have a smaller diameter freehub body so they can run a 9 up cassette, not 135mm spacing though, so not an option even on rim braked MTBs.

No one else has done one for an MTB AFAIK, the Hope one replaces the freehub body, so isn't constrained by the diameter of the freehub body.

Personally I don't think a 9t sprocket is much use on an MTB in UK conditions, the transmission will likely feel horrible and it'll last 5 seconds.
  • Next wheelset will be hope hoops so should be good on that front.
    9-36 would have a bigger range than my current 2x9 setup. can't see any bad points really.
    njee20 wrote:
    Personally I don't think a 9t sprocket is much use on an MTB in UK conditions, the transmission will likely feel horrible and it'll last 5 seconds.

Will it not depend on what its made of? why would it feel horrible?