Campag Athena vs SRAM Apex

kevinb
kevinb Posts: 8
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Hello All
Just about made up my mind on a Ribble Gran Fondo for my half century upgrade celebration next year , upgrading from a Trek 1.7.

But what groupset??

These tired legs are not getting any younger and I wondered what the panels opinion where on these choices for helping an old man up the more challenging gradients

Comments

• I have recently experienced Athena. I upgraded the winter bike - and the shifting is stunning, both quiet and perfect, even on a compact.

In fact I would say better than my 2 year old Super Record (even when it was new). I put this down to the new improved teeth profiles.

11 sprockets allows less jumps between gears, quite nice,

The only slight downside is that the Athena shifters don't have the multi-shift capability of Centaur or Chorus (and above) although the shifting is much lighter. Also removing the new Powertorque cranks could be interesting, but not tried yet.
  • I have recently experienced Athena. I upgraded the winter bike - and the shifting is stunning, both quiet and perfect, even on a compact.

In fact I would say better than my 2 year old Super Record (even when it was new). I put this down to the new improved teeth profiles.

The only slight downside is that the Athena shifters don't have the multi-shift capability of Centaur or Chorus (and above) although the shifting is much lighter. Also removing the new Powertorque cranks could be interesting, but not tried yet.

I cant believe Campag downgraded the groupsets in the way they did, i've got Multi-shift and Ultra torque on my 2009 Veloce, which is suppost to be a level below Athena
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    I have Force on my Focus the shifting is excellent, I bought a bike with Athena which I later returned for an unconnected reason but I had problems with 11-speed aspect because the new tools and parts would be expensive to buy. Do you need the extra two gears?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have recently experienced Athena. I upgraded the winter bike - and the shifting is stunning, both quiet and perfect, even on a compact.

Centaur is downgraded now as well - annoying as there is now no really good 10 speed in Campagnolos range.

TBH, if you are buying Ribble, the special edition bikes offer much the best value - but I think they stop at Centaur as far as Campag goes. And I know they don't have any 2010 Centaur shifters left as I had the last ones (they had to take them off a display Sportive!)

If I was buying a Gran Fondo now, I'd be tempted by the SRAM (Shimano is for mountain bikes! :lol: )
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Athena is available with the Gran Fondo,with the option of a 12-29 cassette to help you up the hills!
  • I think that's what i was trying to get to the bottom of, would a 12-29 Athena be a better option than the SRAM? And would there be a great deal of difference at the "hill" end of the gearing?
  • SRAM has an 11-28 cassette so not a great difference in gearing, though every little helps.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I looked at Athena, SRAM Force and Ultegra as options for my build and opted for Force in the end. As someone else has eluded to, the tools for fitting the Athena bits are expensive and chains to fit the 11 speed are also expensive. Whilst the Campag change is positive, I was told it can require regular fettling to keep it working at its best. Shimano and SRAM can be more or less left to do their thing. The SRAM doesn't have a trim facility on the front deraileur so you have to double tap to line up correctly and the rear deraileur isn't as asthetic as the Campag's or the Shimano's, but looks aren't everything. Force also comes with carbon levers and cranks. If you're spending money on a decent frame, it makes sense to spend money on a decent groupset rather than economise was the way I looked at it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Apex can run a 32t rear cassette with medium cage. should get you up anything!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    There's nothing Sram can bring out that will equal, let alone beat the performance of the mighty Campagnolo.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    And I'm sure an equal amount of SRAM and Shimano users will all say the same thing about their chosen groupsets. :wink:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    philthy3 wrote:
    I looked at Athena, SRAM Force and Ultegra as options for my build and opted for Force in the end. As someone else has eluded to, the tools for fitting the Athena bits are expensive and chains to fit the 11 speed are also expensive. Whilst the Campag change is positive, I was told it can require regular fettling to keep it working at its best. Shimano and SRAM can be more or less left to do their thing. .....

No special tools needed now as 11 Speed KMC quick links are available.

Fettling is not something that Campag ever requires, fit and forget, have built so many bikes with all types of Campag and never need to touch them once set up.
  • Sorry to drag you back to my question!!! :wink: but
    29t Athena versus Apex 32t
    Will I notice the 3 teeth make a great deal of difference going up the steep stuff, and is there really such a great "real world" difference in the quality between the two groupsets?
  • The 11-32t apex cassette will offer a greater mechanical advantage,but you're getting closer to a point where you will be going too slow to stay upright.A bit of climbing practice may prove more rewarding than relying on the gears to overcome your hillphobia.
    The 10 speed Apex 11-32 cassette has some big gaps between cogs(the jump from 17 to 22 looks particularly alarming) .This will be detrimental to smooth gear changes and make it harder to manage your cadence.
    Apex 11- 32 cassette, 11,12,13,15,16,17,22,25,28,32.
    Campag 12-29 " 12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,26,29.

At this point I must confess to being less than impartial.I have Athena and I think that it looks and feels lush.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933

Where did you get that ratio from? The SRAM site says it is 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28, 32. Far more manageable especially if you're not racing and thus not in the same desperate need for closer gearing. I'm considering swiching to an 11-32 for the summer bike and longer rides next year.
  • GavH wrote:

Where did you get that ratio from?

Bikeradar.com Sram Apex group review Feb 16 2010.Sorry if I have been misleading.