Spring weight calculation

peter413
peter413 Posts: 5,120
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Which spring weight calculator tends to be more accurate, TF's or Mojo's?

It's for a Fox shock and I'm getting a 450 spring from TF but a 500 from Mojo, which do I get

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what shock?

some are made in 50lbs steps and others are not. some only allow 2 turns of preload some allow more.

are you going to put on weight. did you use your fully loaded weight?

was ir exactly 450 or 500?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • peter413
    Fox DHX 5 I think it was, I haven't bought the bike yet but I probably will but I know the spring is the wrong weight for me so wanted to check before I bought the bike, it's a 224

It wasn't those numbers exactly, no. Give me a minute and I shall get the numbers.

And that was me fully kitted up and I should hopefully be loosing weight from now on since I am trying to get fit for some DH racing
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    The Tf tuned is more specific, as it accounts for different makes of spring, and also different suspension design. Think the MOJO one is more average....

Look of TF i bet the Multi pivot spring weight is closer to that of the Mojo suggestion, but the single pivot one is lower?...

Remember that you can also set different Sag on TF tuned too.... If i were you id go for a 450 one, just above what TF tuned recommend!
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I don't know much about coil shocks, but I'd give them a ring when you're ready to buy... a quick discussion about what bike it's going on, riding style, usage etc and they'll be able to advise.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    what bike is it for? Without that the figures are meaningless. And your weight.
  • supersonic wrote:

Orange 224... mentioned above :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    supersonic wrote:

Orange 224... mentioned above :wink:

Got to be sure or Peter will start a 'I hate Supersonic thread' Super something anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • peter413
    Yes it's a 224 and I weigh 16 stone kitted up :oops:

Why would I start a "I hate Supersonic" thread :?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I'm just under 14 stone and run a 500,TFT came up 512 for me.If anything I'd say mine was a bit soft and a 550 would suit me better.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    ah but is your leverage ratio and travel the same as the Orange 224?
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    peter413 wrote:
    Yes it's a 224 and I weigh 16 stone kitted up :oops:

Same as me, only im on a Patriot... I have a 650 Spring at the mo, which is fine for general riding it does bottom out on any drop over about 6 foot though?.... TFT recommends 731 for me for Freeride, so im on the lookout for a 750x2.35 fox spring ATM.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    supersonic wrote:
    Erm dunno about leverage ratios but it's 6inch travel front and rear.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ask Orange? Their bikes might look like skips but they're helpful folks. Unless you're asking what weight an R8 is, that's a secret.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Well the frame has a 400 spring on it atm so I will see how much travel I go through on that and see if I need a much bigger spring weight.

I just couldn't turn a 224 frame down for 500 quid and have just got back from collecting it :D so I now have a new New Year project
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's one big ornament :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    What are you calling an ornament, it's a work of art :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ibbo68 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Erm dunno about leverage ratios but it's 6inch travel front and rear.

rear only. travel ( actual not quoted) divide by the Shock stroke gives you you ratio.

different for different bike and even the same frame, so unles you have the EXACT same set up your figures are worthless.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown