Riding In The Snow?

2»

Comments

• Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Northwind wrote:
    Steve_F wrote:
    Glentress tends to be good fun in the snow (until it ices over) but there was so much it turned into a session of carrying the bikes, fighting round fallen trees and riding five metres before repeating the first two steps.

Andy put up the best warning ever on the 7 Stanes Blog "While it should be possible to do Spooky Wood you will have to push all the way up and then all the way back down" :lol: But that bit out back on the black was under that massive snow dune for about 3 months, crazy. Never mind how long secrets and lies was covered in trees.

Didn't even try to get as high as Spookies, this was when it was at it's worse and the blue from the top car park down was unrideable. Think it was after a night of heavy snow and strong winds so was pretty crazy heading down there!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    I find it easier than walking....
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • My best memory of mtb was in the snow as it was falling and got deeper.
    Riding around the woods on familiiar tracks,on low lying terrain.

Not much fun once the ice comes though, esp on steep terrain when you can probably "just" ride up (weaving around for grip) ok then realize how little grip there is coming down again.

Must be tried though!
  • just wrap up warm, brace the elements, and if your smiling at the end. youre a true trooper :)

but dont use high rollers, or at least deflate, quite a bit. As i found out this afternoon :(
    2011 NS Core 2. Boing boing.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Nothing wrong with High Rollers in the snow, I was using one on the rear earlier in a good few inches of the stuff.

Might have helped it was a 2.5 at lowish pressure though :wink:
  • Snow biking is great fun if you follow some guidelines:

Only ride trails you know well
    Allow 3 hours to complete a 1 hour ride....snow is slow!
    Layer up carefully so you don't sweat - sweat = coldness!
    GT-85 your cassette and cables to prevent freezing and take a small can of spray lube with you to de-ice your cassette/cables if required
    Go with a group of riders
    Run your tyres at about 15-20psi and run your forks/rear shock at 30%+ sag
    Fit tyre sealant or slime tubes or really good tyres to reduce punctures - punctures with freezing hands is pure pain!
    Take lights - even in daytime
    Take food - rural shops/pubs/caffs may not be open
    Keep your phone charged and dry
    Carry spare clothing...especially gloves!
    Flat pedals are a good option as you can ride in hiking boots and can bail out easier
    Take a camera - to capture great scenery and your mates falling off!

Don't be put off! Enjoy it while it lasts!

Oh, and night riding in snow is even more fun!
  • Good idea about the flat pedals.
    Stops the cleats freezing up.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Surrey Hills last year before Christmas was great. Not too deep but a nice covering. Getting up Radnor road with ice under the snow was interesting :D

4201218344_5eb106461d.jpg

Managed a bit of singletrack on Pitch hill

4201214006_8301e45a89.jpg

Looks great in the snow anyway and great opportunity to take a camera out and use the bike to get about.

4200456657_80ae1e036e.jpg

The bigger snow later made it difficult to even get to the place without a 4x4.

Did Swinley in the big snow but it was hard going. Too deep. Looked great though.

4263332658_625963fee9.jpg

I'd say if it's fresh and fairly dry snow, not too deep, it compacts down nicely and is ridable.

Can get snow tyres at around £30 to £40, but in this country it's probably not worth the hassle.

That said, I don't think it will snow much or at all round here. The weather forecasts seem to have a northern bias at the moment so "Big snow all across the UK" = it's snowing up north, which is hardly a shocking piece of news.
  • Was out walking the dog today. Strolling along seemingly flat ground, in about 8 to 10 inches of snow, when my leading foot sank into the ground, followed by my leg, all the way up to my nads. Before I knew it I was face down in the snow.

Thankfully there was no-one around to witness it :oops:

So, yes, I'd recommend a trail you;re familiar with. If I can do that walking..
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    I went to Sherwood pines this morning and it was brilliant, i'm running Maxxiss Ardents front and rear and never had a problem with them, i can see how they won tyre of the year in WMB.
    htc4244.jpg
  • Was out on the bike yesterday & loved every min but having to keep clearing the canti brakes because they wouldn't move due to compacted snow slowed the ride down a bit & the cassett became a block of ice :lol: just make sure you keep your feet warm as I got a slight dose of frost nip on my toes :roll:
    1991 Kona Cinder Cone in Cinder Gold
    www.borders4x4club.co.uk
  • Nachimir
    Nachimir Posts: 126
    but dont use high rollers, or at least deflate, quite a bit. As i found out this afternoon :(

I took a hardrock sport disc out with a new pair of high rollers today, and they were fine even at 35 PSI. Didn't do anything particularly technical, but over 13 miles of woods and hills they didn't slip much despite a lot of crunchy ice.

Followed fairly strict rules as I'm not so confident in my handling skills when it comes to skidding, so mostly straight lines and careful cornering, but started carving a bit on wide open grassy sections. You can feel them float a bit underneath you, but it's pretty controllable.

Also, ski goggles with a proper lens are a godsend when the sun is as low and bright as today.