Riding In The Snow?

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Judging by some of the weather forecasts recently, it looks like we're going to be getting a bit of snow again this winter so I was wondering whether riding in the snow is any good?

If it's anything like last year, I imagine that Swinley and the Surrey Hills will be getting a fair covering so I fancy giving a bit of snow riding a try?

Any advice on tyres or suchlike for trying this?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Snow looks pretty and we don't get too much so the temptation is to get out there and ride but IMO the novelty wears off after about 10 mins.

Frozen CamelBak tubes, iced-up freewheels, freezing snow stuck in the rear triangle, snow-covered braking bumps and craters, f*ck that for a game of soldiers.

Mud tyres work well BTW, good luck :)
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    .blitz wrote:
    Snow looks pretty and we don't get too much so the temptation is to get out there and ride but IMO the novelty wears off after about 10 mins.

Frozen CamelBak tubes, iced-up freewheels, freezing snow stuck in the rear triangle, snow-covered braking bumps and craters, f*ck that for a game of soldiers.

+1..

Although riding in frosty conditions through iced over puddles never gets dull!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    edited November 2010
    When the snow it fresh it is great, you can have some of the best fun in the snow on a bike.

When the snow has turned into ice on the other hand, thats an 'experience' not for the faint hearted
  • .blitz wrote:

Hmm, doesn't sound too promising!

I've just bought a bike mount for my Gopro so at least I'll be able to get some good footage of my inevitable accidents :D
  • I was very eager to back in the saddle last year after the heavy snow. Got to Llandegla a little too early and although it was open, the initial climb to the top of the trail was heavily snowed in. Absolutely no grip at all, ended up walking for hours to get to the descent where the snow had dissapeared. I dont think I'll be bothering this year!
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Snow hides things..... like logs, rocks, holes & drops.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I used Shwalbe Space tyres in the snow last year. Pumped up very hard, the snow didn't seem to stick to them at all.

Uber funs were had... :D
  • I enjoy all the seasons for what they are, just make sure you stick to trails you know really well as mentioned already, snow will cover things up.

Last year was ace with a smattering of snow on the Chase on Christmas Eve, made it feel more Christmassy for me than usual.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Went to Swinley a few times in the snow last year. Beautiful, deserted and great fun.
    Didn't do any serious distance and fell off lots.
    Wouldn't like to do a remote place or marathon, but playing around was great.
    Bike was fine, fingers and toes not so much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Went to sherwood pines in the snow last year. Was great fun, but falling over getting out the car park kind of told us how the day was going to go :)

Id say give it a try, you could always make yourself a ghetto pair of snow/ice tyres from a old pair of tyres, some screws and duct tape :) I might even give it a go this year if we have lots of snow again.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Riding in snow's brilliant, doesn't get old for me. Can't say as any of my bikes give me any bother reliability-wise, though my usual choice of tyres doesn't work well- not fat enough to float or thin enough to cut. But it's such a laugh, the trails are all totally different, you get better at sliding around, and when you fall off you just make a snow angel. A lot of my best rides have been on snow... It's not a totally different skill but it's pretty different, not quite like riding on mud for all they're both slippy.

Just get out and go for it. Ice needs total respect though- it's not certain death but it's trouble.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Last winter was a real treat.
    I was either placky baggin with The Boy or out on the bike. When work didn't get in the way.

The snow can hide things, make a trail you know well be more risky or more fun. The first descent through powdery snow should be savoured. A wall of white all around you is great to see. it takes a second to clean your bike, which in mid winter is nice.

Once the snow is compacted it makes you learn new skills or drag old ones back out again. Wear warm gloves, socks, tops and maybe a buff. Then go play.
    If you don't like it, you don't have to do it again.

I think I used a 2.1 Ignitor at times, but definitely used a 2.35 hi-Roller with a Nobby Nic up front for most of last winter. If its frozen or compacted stay seated, use 1 gear lower than normal and pedal smoothly. If its fresh go for it. Oh and expect ghost shifts from the build up of snow around the the rear mech.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Any tyre suggestions?

The new bike's got Bontrager Jones XR tyres fitted, 2.25 front and 2.5 rear.
    Should these be up to it or should I look for something different?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    edited November 2010
    I went out a few times in the really deep stuff last year. There is some great fun to be had, but there is also some awful pushing and getting stuck to be had too.

Some of the best fun I had was actually on a closed road. We built some snow jumps, raced a couple of XC ski-ers (badly) and just spent a whole day just generally c0cking about. Even riding on a road can be tricky when the snow is quite fresh and deep and you're going fast enough.

Top tip: Forget about any sort of meaningful steering, it stops working in snow. Just keep really loose and let the bike move about under you.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I tend to enjoy it but it just got too much last year.

Glentress tends to be good fun in the snow (until it ices over) but there was so much it turned into a session of carrying the bikes, fighting round fallen trees and riding five metres before repeating the first two steps.

A bit of snow would be nice where we get a nice fresh fall which lasts for a day, it melts then does the same a week or so later but I get the horrible feeling we'll get hammered worse than last year.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    riding on fresh snow is awesome really good fun. A normal muddy conditions tyre works great. Its not so fun once its compacted down into ice though.

And definitely stick to well known trails as there will be many hidden presents for you.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Riding in the snow is a bit of fun eh. I've had some good times doing just that. Mostly back home though where we get lots anyway.
    Best fun to be had on smooth trails you know well with the odd mixed bit of technical just to spice it up. :twisted:
    Most of all is to get out there right away while it's fresh. As others have said, when it packs down it is less fun.
    Many happy trails!
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    hoochylala wrote:
    Id say give it a try, you could always make yourself a ghetto pair of snow/ice tyres from a old pair of tyres, some screws and duct tape :) I might even give it a go this year if we have lots of snow again.

Awesome idea. Might give it a go. My highrollers are pretty bald so worth a shot :)
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • fletch8928 wrote:
    Last winter was a real treat.
    I was either placky baggin with The Boy or out on the bike. When work didn't get in the way.

I know someone who went placky baggin one year using an old fertiliser sack. Shot off down the hill with some pace....halfway down and in direct line of his coal hole was a stick in the ground at a rather unfortunate angle.

He still can't sit in the same position for too long. We now call him Twiggy.

He's not the same guy I was at school with who used to hang off doors while they were swung open and shut. He stopped doing that when he slid off and sliced his nutsack open on the latch and fixings.

Back on topic...snow riding can be fun. Sometimes.
  • Northwind
    Steve_F wrote:
    Glentress tends to be good fun in the snow (until it ices over) but there was so much it turned into a session of carrying the bikes, fighting round fallen trees and riding five metres before repeating the first two steps.

Andy put up the best warning ever on the 7 Stanes Blog "While it should be possible to do Spooky Wood you will have to push all the way up and then all the way back down" :lol: But that bit out back on the black was under that massive snow dune for about 3 months, crazy. Never mind how long secrets and lies was covered in trees.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • fletch8928 wrote:
    Last winter was a real treat.

I know someone who went placky baggin one year using an old fertiliser sack. Shot off down the hill with some pace....halfway down and in direct line of his coal hole was a stick in the ground at a rather unfortunate angle.

He still can't sit in the same position for too long. We now call him Twiggy.

He's not the same guy I was at school with who used to hang off doors while they were swung open and shut. He stopped doing that when he slid off and sliced his nutsack open on the latch and fixings.

Back on topic...snow riding can be fun. Sometimes.
    :shock:
  • Just a quick clip from last year riding in the snow :lol: For me it's good fun but it's bloody cold at times :wink: Bring on the snow i say more the merrier :lol:

th_IMG_0022.jpg
    Yeti 575,Specialized Turbo levo
  • Northwind
    Well if we're posting videos here is my worst snow riding video:

http://vimeo.com/8430971
    Uncompromising extremist
  • check out these guys! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx0Y7YuHHpo
  • Northwind
    Fresh stuff is actually pretty grippy, it's more like dry-ish loam than mud. Hard to maintain speed on though if you've got any width of tyres, the drag's pretty severe.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • hammy7272 wrote:
    check out these guys! :shock:

That's nuts!

I love it :)
  • hammy7272 wrote:

Yeh puts mine to shame that :shock: Must say we have just started night riding and pretty cool :lol:
    Yeti 575,Specialized Turbo levo
  • This is the kinda snow riding I'd do if I could, look at the skiers faces, they cant' believe anyone would be crazy enough to take a bike. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QZP_bMrAU4
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    hammy7272 wrote:

Damn i wanna try that...
  • Northwind
    Man, that's cool. Remember the Biker X and downhill events at the winter x games? Late night on channel 5 8) Shandro dissed it in Seasons but I remember watching him win it and thinking it was pretty damn awesome :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist