Chase Skills - Novice MTB course: my feedback

chips*
chips* Posts: 13
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Hi

Just a feedback of my experience on the above course I recently attended.

Background about me: I haven't been on a bike for > 30 years since I was a kid!! I normally use an indoor exercise bike to get some fitness for the winter snowboarding season. After a day on a rental bike during our summer holiday, we decided to buy a bike on our return. There was several reasons, 1) we actually enjoyed the bike experience 2) we both can get fit 3) we both have a shared hobby and spend some time together (I am either away playing golf or tracking my car + other car related bits & bobs etc..)

Anyway, we've had our MTB bikes for 3 months riding along the (flat!) paths in Epping Forest so we decided to book ourself onto a Novice course to learn the basics. We found CannockSkills via this forum and the review was fine, so we booked.

We were apprehensive when we approached the meeting point, but Craig's welcoming was warming and we felt at ease very quickly. We did the safety checks and signed the disclaimers then Craig outlined of the breakdown of the course, then we were off (after a toilet break)
During the course, he taught us the basic riding (attack) position, the critical techniques to riding over roots, braking, uphill riding, cornering, and drop off. To the experienced MTB rider, these may sound dull, but each lesson contained excellent tuitions and tips which are fundamental to each skill set for simple novice riders like us. I was impressed with Craig's instructions as he gave clear verbal instructions and usual demo PLUS explanation as to why the technique works. (On my other hobby, I've tried several car instructors, all of which are very good drivers, but many lacked communication skills to explain how/why the car behaved in the way it does). The day ends with a venture onto the trail to practise what was taught on the course. It was an eye opener for us given we are accustomed to nice easy cycle paths!!! :0 After I ate some dirt :) we managed to finish the trail (I wasn't pretty so probably at best 1/10 for technique!)

It was an excellent day and we both went away from the day learning (and understanding) the core MTB fundamental skills (doesn't mean I can do them yet without much more practise!!) Also, even in my short 3 months of riding experience, this course found out I developed a really bad habit which I need to iron out! Overall, a great learning experience I would recommend to any other novice riders.

Thanks
Tom

Comments

• x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Hi Tom,

A huge thanks for such a good write-up. From a personal point of view it's very satisfying when people not only come away with their skills/confidence levels up but also have such a good time too!

It was nice to meet the pair of you and hope to see you again in the future. Keep up the practice! :)

Regards
    Craig Rogers