MTB rear mech with Shimano Ultegra shifters

Quadbypass
Quadbypass Posts: 20
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Would a MTB 10 sp rear mech work OK with Shimano Ultegra 10sp shifters.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Many thanks Nlcklouse. Regards
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what are you wanting to try and do?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nicklouse,

I want to fit a bar bag on a Spesh Tricross, which is fitted with Tiagra shifters & front mech, and a Deore LX rear mech, all 9 speed.

I want to put on 105 shifters, 10 speed, and know I'll need new cassette, chain and chainrings (which I want to change anyway). But will I need any new mechs?

Thanks
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just read Nicklouse's link and can't see why it wouldn't work. 10 speed shifters, cassette and chain with the 9 speed LX rear mech, no? The mech is a dumb thing surely, and just moves as far as the shifter asks it to?? Or is it to do with the amount of cable pull vs the geometry of the parallelogram??
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    A mate of mine borrowed my XT long cage rear mech so he could run a 12-34 (I think) cassette to get him over the Pyrenees. That worked fine on his Ultegra equipped Fuji.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    keef66 wrote:
    I just read Nicklouse's link and can't see why it wouldn't work. 10 speed shifters, cassette and chain with the 9 speed LX rear mech, no?
    Yes, that will work. Just use an old mech, and not one of the new 10 speed/dynasys ones.
  • keef66
    "Would a MTB 10 sp rear mech work OK with....."

"and a Deore LX rear mech, all 9 speed. "

The OP's contradicted himself a bit there. The first statement led Nicklouse to say No

The second led me to ask why not.

I'm guessing it's an older LX rear mech so it should work.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    keef66 wrote:
    "Would a MTB 10 sp rear mech work OK with....."

"and a Deore LX rear mech, all 9 speed. ".
    Two different posters. You are right though. The 10sp mech will not work but almost any 9sp one will.
  • keef66
    Oh, well spotted. :oops:

So the OP is buggered, but Mr Smooth is OK