cleaning again

lobsterhotpot
lobsterhotpot Posts: 19
edited November 2010 in MTB general
I know this becomes an endless sea of "how to" and "don't do" but to just chuck in my opinion, has anyone ever used a product called JIZER, its a water soluble degreaser (probably not the most eco-friendly) comes in a 5 litre can for about twenty quid and if you can remove chain with powerlnk>>>> quickest and most thorough way to clean your drivetrain in about 15 mins and I mean a proper new out the box clean. Any opinions welcome.

Comments

• Don't tell me, you happen to have a ton of Jiz to splash all over me for just 20 of my hard earned notes? :shock:
  • .........I was expecting that, nope, real product and really works. Post some info tomorrow
  • Hi LobsterHotPot,

Try this link - it describes my best ever tip!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12742717

Worth a try -you'll be surprised how good it really is - especially for drive train! Everybody always comments that my chain looks like new!

Tom
  • Tom,

It seems you use these for your road bike - Not sure how they will hold up with a really muddy MB.. I'd imagine I would need a whole pack of wipes!!!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's made by Swarfega, and does work on engines. I use their handcleaner - good stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Good point - but try being out for 7-8 hours on the road in the winter?! A road bike can get pretty messed up. But you're right it's not the same thing.

But try it after you've hosed off the basic dirt and especially on the drive train. They don't disintegrate - - you really will be surprised how good they are and they come in packs of hundreds for just a few quid!

They really are that good - Tom
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Try non-branded commercial citrus degreaser/cleaner. Cheap as chips.
    "Coming through..."
  • theshrew
    theshrew Posts: 169
    Ive never used it on my bike put have done for cleaning car parts.

Its good stuff to get rid of grease and oil. Having said that i wouldnt use it on a bike its very very strong stuff and the grease etc on a bike just wouldnt need that kind of product.. If i remember correctly it attacks rubber so seals on bearings etc could be damaged.

its nasty stuff if you get it on your hands wash it off straight away it doesnt do your skin any good.

Im new to MTB but the 2 rides i have had my bike has been filthy. All ive used is a weak mix of car shampoo. This is fine for the frame but the drivetrain could do with a bit more. Not used it yet as i didnt have any left but i will be useing brake cleaner in a spray can. That stuff is awsome ! Trouble is this might prove quite hard on the pocket so may opt just for a normal citrus degreaser. i would think both will get parts nice and clean.
  • r88boc
    r88boc Posts: 17
    theshrew wrote:
    Ive never used it on my bike put have done for cleaning car parts.

Its good stuff to get rid of grease and oil. Having said that i wouldnt use it on a bike its very very strong stuff and the grease etc on a bike just wouldnt need that kind of product.. If i remember correctly it attacks rubber so seals on bearings etc could be damaged.

its nasty stuff if you get it on your hands wash it off straight away it doesnt do your skin any good.

Im new to MTB but the 2 rides i have had my bike has been filthy. All ive used is a weak mix of car shampoo. This is fine for the frame but the drivetrain could do with a bit more. Not used it yet as i didnt have any left but i will be useing brake cleaner in a spray can. That stuff is awsome ! Trouble is this might prove quite hard on the pocket so may opt just for a normal citrus degreaser. i would think both will get parts nice and clean.

As above - it ruins normal latex gloves in about 30 seconds! I use it to clean the air filter on my MX bike but wouldnt use it on anything else.