Tyre choices for this time of year.

wayneyb
wayneyb Posts: 2
edited November 2010 in MTB general
At this time of year, tyre choice is something i feel is not spoke about enough. Whether it is a topic riders feel confident enough in their choices that it they don't feel the need to discuss. Or is it something we all leave to chance in a sort of "they will do" because that's what was on it when i bought it etc.
I often feel that i over think things, but is it something we should discuss more?

Comments

• baser
    baser Posts: 127
    Still running the Conti MK 2.2 SS, lots of fun, not a lot of grip!!
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Hmmmm, I use an XC 2.1. Which of the two mentions of this tyre do I click on?

On a serious note. I don't give a monkeys that there is a new tyre thread every 5 minutes. It's gotten to the stage where simply typing the word 'tyres' into the search engine gets pretty overwhelming anyway.

Always nice to hear new views, without having to sift through 15 pages of a previous thread.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Schwalbe Black shark mud 2.1 up front, Nobby Nic 2.1 out back on the hardtail

Schwalbe Black shark mud 2.1 up front, Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.1 out back on the susser
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Black round rubbery type jobbies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It depends ENTIRELY on what you ride and where, EG a cross country rider will run different tyres to an AM/trail rider who will also run different tyres to a DHer/freerider who will also run different tyres to a dirt jumper. Also, as i found out the other day, it totally depends on the area, or even the trail. I rode two different trails the other day within a couple of hundred yards of each other, one was wet and muddy and would have needed big chunky downhill tyres to tame it properly, however the second trail was nice and dry and gravelly and i got by fine on some thinner XC/trail tyres. It's not really sufficient to say "what tyres are good for this time of year?" if you see what i mean.

However, i run a maxxis advantage 2.25 up front and a high roller 2.1 on my aggressive XC/trail hardtail most of the year, though i could really do with something a little chunkier for the wetter trails, but it's not really worth it for the distance on road that i have to cycle to get there, i find the tyre combo above is pretty good for most places most of the year.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    It depends ENTIRELY on what you ride and where, EG a cross country rider will run different tyres to an AM/trail rider who will also run different tyres to a DHer/freerider who will also run different tyres to a dirt jumper. Also, as i found out the other day, it totally depends on the area, or even the trail. I rode two different trails the other day within a couple of hundred yards of each other, one was wet and muddy and would have needed big chunky downhill tyres to tame it properly, however the second trail was nice and dry and gravelly and i got by fine on some thinner XC/trail tyres. It's not really sufficient to say "what tyres are good for this time of year?" if you see what i mean.

However, i run a maxxis advantage 2.25 up front and a high roller 2.1 on my aggressive XC/trail hardtail most of the year, though i could really do with something a little chunkier for the wetter trails, but it's not really worth it for the distance on road that i have to cycle to get there, i find the tyre combo above is pretty good for most places most of the year.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt

Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    What cooldad said. I've got no urge to change tyres on a weekly basis so I ride what's on the bike till they're finished.
  • 2.4 Schwalbe fat alberts for trail centres

2.25 Schwalbe racing ralphs for commute (transpenine trail all the way)
  • Lots of muddy trails through woods where I am, Bontrager Mud X, perfect for the job.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I have Mud X on the hardtail and Spesh Captains on the susser.

Last winter I ran Panaracer Trailrakers on both and they were perfect for the awful conditions I was biking in - perfect for 'paddle-steaming' through thick slurry and gloopy clay. I left them on till the were cut-up so much the inners were bulging through splits in the sidewalls.

Definitely going to get another pair shortly as i'm starting to ride sideways down alot of bridleways now - thanks horsey-people!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    Panaracer XC Pro's. Great in all but the driest of conditions.
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    Maxxis ADvantage - front 2.25 (60a) and rear 2.1 (70a) are on my Christmas list for winter XC. Lots of good reports.
    After uphill there's downhill
  • used mud tyres for years, now got downhill spike ones, which are really quite impressive on wet roots and so on.

also as impressive is the drag, they even slow on some downhills.....

But overall i'll take a bit more effort if the tyre will perform where it matters.
  • used mud tyres for years, now got downhill spike ones, which are really quite impressive on wet roots and so on.

But overall i'll take a bit more effort if the tyre will perform where it matters.

Any chance of naming the tyres you recommend rather than leave us guessing?

I guess these though... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/intense-spike-d ... bike-tyre/

What do I win? :D

Any chance of naming the tyres you recommend rather than leave us guessing?

I guess these though... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/intense-spike-d ... bike-tyre/

What do I win? :D

um win? ;)

but yes those are the beasties, though these are slightly older stock at 2inch which I strongly suspect is the same as the 2.25inch as it's the biggest 2inch tyre i've ever seen!

But yes i've been so far impressed. both by grip and lack of freewheeling!
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    2.25 Nobby Nics for the Summer, 2.25 Fat Alberts for the Winter does me fine :)

(Riding an 06 Enduro, AM/XC riding if that's any help)
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    Around here in the flat fens, there is sticky mud everywhere, the sort that clings to your tyres and clogs the bike wheels and frame until you are beaten back by the resistance until you are at the side of the trail poking a stick at your bike.

Tread pattern helps a bit but by far the best tyre I used is a 1.8 Maxxis Medusa (It is the only 1.8 tyre I have tried). The mud doesn't get caught on your frame due to extra clearance. You notice the loss of grip out of the mud though so you have to take care and you can't run then at low psi.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's the small volume that puts me off most skinny mud tyres, but that's just part of how they work so it's unavoidable really. My normal tyres (nevegals and eskars) can deal with a fair amount of mud anyway so I just stick with those. Generally up here any trail that really calls for a mud tyre is best avoided anyway since you'll be tearing it up as you go.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Highrollers 2.35 with super tacky on front for trail centres any time of year
    Swampthings 2.3 for muddy xc
    panaracer xc pro 2.1 for summer xc
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    2.5 HR on the front (maxxpro)

2.35 Ignitor on the back (maxxpro) will get a minion for the front and pop the HR on the back when I get some moneys.

Gonna built a ice tyre out of an old mud tyre and a bag of tack's soon... should be useful.
    I like bikes and stuff