Carbon Or Alu

Chopper Read
Chopper Read Posts: 8
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
Many years ago i was really into my road biking. Then MTBing before an accident uncovered a serious underlying health problem. I then didn't ride for about 8 years. 2 years ago i bought a Carerra TDF just to see if i could get back into road biking. Well,after a slow start i have well and truly been bitten by the bug again. Trouble is that while i was away the market has become massive. I am unsure as to what choice to make. I am 40 next month and my wife has said i can have a decent bike,but what material do i choose?

All advice kindly received.

Chopper.

Comments

• alu or steel really i think, im sure you have loads of potential as a brilliant rider although being 40 soon i dont really think that carbon would be "needed" because it wont give you much of a performance benifit, if your aloud to get a carbon bike then by all means go for it! however dont be fooled into forking out loads more for a carbon version. i think alu or if you want somthing to last you intill your 80+ then mabye a steel bike might be better they will live through the winter alot better and should in theorie last longer, yes there a little heavier but think long term. ( not that alu wont last a fair amount of time ethier though)

alu or steel in my opinion depending on budget and how far you want the bike to last in the future.

hope that helps bud!
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Buy the best bike you can afford. What kind of budget have you got?

IMO the frame is the most important option so budget would be a good indicator of what you should opt for. If you have around a grand then thats typically the tipping point between Alu and Carbon. Best Alu frame is probably CAAD 9 but this has been replaced for 2011 with the CAAD 10. Carbon wise then you need to look for the r rating (I think) so top end carbon bikes are made from 10 / 11r carbon.

Have a look on Evans site, you can do a filter by budget range and that will give you an idea of what you can get for your money, the types of make you like the look of, groupsets etc. Then go and have a look and sit on a few. If you narrow it down to a few folk on here will give you their feedback, but essentially buy what you like and that will give you the bug even more than you currently have it
  • yeh a caad 9 or 10 would be a brilliant choice, if your thinking more than those check out halfords boardman bikes they have some cracking carbon bikes!
  • Have looked at CAAD8 and a Cube Alu bike. Had heart set on Cannondale Six 105 but started having second thoughts. Looked at a Giant TCR and some Treks. Have been told if i want the Six i can have it so that is probably my very upper limit for budget. Would rather spend less so i can get some decent gear to go with. Heard a few pro's and con's for both materials. Must say i would like a Cannondale.
  • tmg
    So find you nearest Cannondale dealer and go and have a look at the Six and a CAAD 10, sitting on them and taking them both for a short spin will help you make up your mind between the two. Don't forget all the 'other' stuff will cost, so no point maxing out and having nothing left for other bits and not being able to ride, but if it's your Birthday then get a list together or get vouchers for your favourite on-line store or LBS

Both nice bikes
  • Have already got basic gear but was looking to upgrade gear with the bike. Went to Leisure Lakes yesterday but they only had CAAD8's in,very nice i must say but was looking for that something more.
  • tmg
    Give Evans a call in Nottingham and ask them if they have the CAAD 10 and Six in store
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    alu or steel really i think, im sure you have loads of potential as a brilliant rider although being 40 soon i dont really think that carbon would be "needed" because it wont give you much of a performance benifit, if your aloud to get a carbon bike then by all means go for it! however dont be fooled into forking out loads more for a carbon version. i think alu or if you want somthing to last you intill your 80+ then mabye a steel bike might be better they will live through the winter alot better and should in theorie last longer, yes there a little heavier but think long term. ( not that alu wont last a fair amount of time ethier though)
    Must admit I don't agree with most of this. I'm nearly 44 myself and certainly believe I get the most out of any equipment-related performance benefit. Maybe if you were over 70... As for steel lasting through the winter better - well, it rusts, unlike carbon! No reason why carbon shouldn't last ages if properly looked after and not seriously crashed.

If you are really keen, get the best you can afford. Nothing wrong with steel or alu, but there are more options in carbon once you go significantly above the 1K mark.

The Cannondale 6 is a really brilliant bike by all accounts.
  • Chopper. Don't get hung up on frame material, the best bike is one that fits and that you enjoy riding a lot.

Aluminium, Steel and Carbon are all excellent frame materials each with their own properties, but it is the design of the bike rather than frame material that determines its characteristics.

Most of the myths associated with frame materials are just that, myths. Carbon is not fragile, Alu is not necessarily harsh or more prone to fatigue and whilst a steel frame may be a pound or so heavier it gives a springy, lively ride that belies its weight and can be a joy to ride.

Get yourself down to your LBS and try a few. Once you find one that fits, is within your budget and feels right, buy it. Have a look at the frame labels when you get it home - if you still care.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • Not sure where age comes into the equation with carbon frames (1st reply).
    I have very recently joined the road brigade and very nearly bought a CAAD9 following a test ride, when I noticed the Carbon 6 for an extra £100 (should have been £500 more). Put the CAAD on hold until I tried the Six. 2 minutes on the Six decision made, and the Six it was, so forget your age, and if you can afford a carbon bike, and it feels right for you, get it (or live to regret it with the what if...).
    By the way, the reason I mentioned the age bit is that I am 55, and over 100kg, and feel brilliant riding my Carbon Six.
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
  • Dadmo
    Dadmo Posts: 61
    I'm in my mid-fifties, and bought my first serious road bike about eight years ago. Now riding a Cervelo RS, and doing more miles than ever before (100-200 a week), because the RS is the best-fitting machine I've ridden. As Silverpigeon & others have said, don't get hung up on materials. I ride a carbon frame, but on Sundays I do a 50-70 miler with a 45-year-old who happily rides steel. Just decide how much you can afford, and buy the bike that feels best for you within that budget.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I echo the advice that says buy the best you can afford, that's fit for purpose. i'm early 50's and almost bought an Alu Bianchi via narone, till my wife said is it really what you want don't come back in 6 months time and say wish i'd bought carbon. After a test ride on both my mind was made up the carbon it had to be, even then it meant driving to various shops to try the different sizes take time to do this try one size up and one size down and get it right, think about the type of riding you're going to be doing be it sportives, racing or touring if sportives or touring try out the 'relaxed' geometry bikes to see if they suit you better - good luck
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    I reckon if you put pretty much anyone on here on a similarly priced carbon and alu frame and did a blind test then they wouldn't know which was which (I'm pretty sure I wouldn't). Sure, a good quality alu frame is going to be better than a cheap carbon frame but carbon has become a lot more affordable now and bikes in the £1000 range are probably of a similar standard whether alu or carbon. The best advice when buying any bike is to try a few and buy what's best for you in terms of fit and feel. If possible it would probably be best not to know what material the frame is before trying the bikes so that it doesn't sway you in any way!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Gotta be carbon, for sure.

Do you really want all those dirty looks from not riding a carbon bike? :wink: , also when someone asks about your bike, you can say "its carbon init".
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you really need to ride a few bikes and see what you like best. Choosing on a basis of material is flawed.

Ride as many as you can in the budget that you have, and see what you prefer.

I dont agree with 'buy the best you can afford' as its diminishing returns after 1k to 1.5k or so.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Many years ago i was really into my road biking. Then MTBing before an accident uncovered a serious underlying health problem. I then didn't ride for about 8 years. 2 years ago i bought a Carerra TDF just to see if i could get back into road biking. Well,after a slow start i have well and truly been bitten by the bug again. Trouble is that while i was away the market has become massive. I am unsure as to what choice to make. I am 40 next month and my wife has said i can have a decent bike,but what material do i choose?

All advice kindly received.

Chopper.

Nice choice to make. I built a new bike for me 40th, carbon framed Planet X. I also have an ally framed Kinesis Racelight as a winter bike, and the PX feels better than the Kinesis.
  • Thanks for the unput peeps. Looked on Evans website briefly last night and they have CAAD10 and Carbon Six (2011) coming in shortly. Must say,the Six is in team colours and looks very nice and is a little cheaper. Although i would guess it is a top quality Alu frame and it is claimed to be slightly lighter. I am not concerned with my age as i walk 10 miles a day most days with a weighted pack as well as running and of course cycling. I also lift weights three times a week so am in pretty good nick for it. I want a machine for quick blasts up into the Derbyshire Peak and to clip a pair of aero bars on to do the odd Triathlon. Not interested in racing or sportives just yet,just want to enjoy riding on a quality machine for once.