Tubeless rims

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Will i have to use a rim strip with my rims? 2010 pitch pro. Specs below.

Rims:
Pitch Disc specific, 26mm, pin joint, eyelets, 32hole
Front Tyre:
Specialized Eskar Control, 26x2.3 inch, 60 TPI, tubeless ready, aramid bead

Rear tyre the same.

Cheers dudes.

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I expect so....the 2bliss tyres are certainly tubeless ready...but very often the specialized rims aren't.

Hopefully I am wrong, but prepare to convert it yourself.
  • bennett_346
    Damn. If i have to add a rim strip i don't think i'll bother.
  • Mccraque
    It's a bit of effort.....but it very worth it. There's countless threads on the merits of each but from a pure puncture protection perspective you will reap the benefits.
  • bennett_346
    Im not too keen on adding too much more weight, thats the problem. I don't get punctures as it is but i would like to run lower pessures and still avoid them. Am i talking sense?
  • Mccraque
    well you will eliminate pinch flats even at low pressures.

even a conversion kit will be slightly lighter than a tube, I'd think....and with all the benefits of tubeless!

one of my bikes runs tubeless rims...which is great. And in the summer I went ghetto tubeless on the HT - hacking a brompton tube in half and using it as a rimstrip. worked a treat and gave a much more supple ride.
  • bennett_346
    Well first things first is to actually look at the rims is suppose. As of yet ive been too lazy. I can definately see the benefits of tubeless, but only if it isnt going to cause a weight penalty.
  • Mccraque wrote:
    well you will eliminate pinch flats even at low pressures.

even a conversion kit will be slightly lighter than a tube, I'd think....and with all the benefits of tubeless!

one of my bikes runs tubeless rims...which is great. And in the summer I went ghetto tubeless on the HT - hacking a brompton tube in half and using it as a rimstrip. worked a treat and gave a much more supple ride.

You can still pinch flat a tubeless setup, you just have to hit it a bit harder...

Generally it isn't much lighter than a tube because you need more sealant to seal a porous 2bliss tyre.

I love the suppleness though, it may be psychological, but they feel so much nicer.