Compact, Secure Bike Storage

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Hi all,

I've been trawling the web looking for some kind of compact bike storage.

My issue is that I will be moving and instead of the family garden shed being used to store my bike I will be living in a ground floor apartment with a shared, pretty open, garden and no secure shed. The surrounding area isn't exactly run by the neighbourhood watch alliance either!

A bike will possibly fit down the outside of the building to the handlebars but there is nothing to secure it to, no shelter from the elements and will be visible from the road. Space is pretty much limited to a few square feet out of sight of the public. I'm thinking the best thing would be one of those plastic, lockable garden shed things, but as compact as possible that can hold a bike - possibly with the wheels off etc.

Any other suggestions?!?!?

Thank you to anyone that can help.
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• Friend of mine keeps hers in one of these; http://www.langhalegardens.co.uk/shop/p ... _store.htm
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Indoors... any sort of bike lock box screams break in for something good to nick to thieves.
  • steelo
    Indoor isn't an option unfortunately. It's either a lock-box type of thing or leave the bike at the parents 15 miles away and get it when I want to go biking - not ideal.
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • In that case insure it with outdoor overnight cover, a good lock and replace when it goes missing. Cheaper and more effective than a lockbox.
  • steelo
    I take it you've had a bike taken from this sort of storage then, or know of someone who has. Definitely worth a bit more thought then, cheers for the advice.
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,749
    Can you rent a decent, secure lock up garage nearby? Might not be worth it just for a bike but if you've got other stuff to store, worth considering.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I keep mine in one of those Bike storage tents of ebay, cost about £30, use a decent ground anchor / lock and its just as secure as being in a cheapo shed.