Evans Maintenance Training

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited November 2010 in MTB general
I noticed when I was in my local Evans last week that they offer free 2hr bike maintenance classes.

Has anyone done these classes before and if so is it worth booking myself into one?

I'm a mechanic by trade so am pretty competent with the spanners but i reckon this could be pretty handy to pick up some tips about servicing my bike. What do you think?

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    If its free why not give it a go!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • FREE? .. really.. why would it be free? Hmmm

It would be good but wouldnt be that in-depth because that would stop work coming their way or am I missing something?
  • FREE? .. really.. why would it be free? Hmmm

It would be good but wouldnt be that in-depth because that would stop work coming their way or am I missing something?

That was my thinking as well.

I suppose as it's free I might as well give it a go!
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I'm going to give it a go. I imagine they teach you routine maintenance that you wouldn't normally go to a shop for. I bet their biggest motivation ia that

A) you will need supply to maintain your bike such as gt85, oil, and tools. You are most likely to buy these from evans :)
    B) when you notice that you need to replace parts during the regular maintenance they teach you there is a chance you might buy them from evans
    C) since evans show you value then you are more likely to shop their and even buy your next bike there
    D) you are more likely to get your major services done at evans by the mechanic you now know and who isn't an anonymous stranger behind closed doors

They are building a relationship with you. It's excellent business sense and a win for them and a win for the customer. I genuinely like shopping at evans myself cos of these kinds of services.

Just my two cents.
    Dub
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    I've done it and while very basic its very worthwhile if you know little, they also had a very good discount offer on the night so i ended up spending quite a bit.....
    Nicolai CC
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    i'm booked in for one of these sessions in a couple of weeks time (they are popular as i booked it a while back now). I'm pretty rubbish at mechanical issues and rely on evans and my lbs too much, so even if it's quite basic it will be good for me i think. Also, you can use your own bike so i'm hoping i'll also effectively give it a decent service :wink:

As for reasoning, i reckon as put above. It's building a relationship with lots of customers and at the same time you end up buying lots of bits that you use on the night
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • just booked mine

London Victoria store booked up til 10 Jan ...!
    Specialized Allez 24