9 onto 10 won't go: SRAM S900 compatible with 9sp...

richa
richa Posts: 1,631
edited November 2010 in Workshop
I have a SRAM S900 (Quarq) compact that I want to fit onto my winter bike (Shimano tiagra 9sp).

Is this compatible? The manual says SRAM/Shimano 10sp chains. Will a 10sp chain fit a 9sp cassette (guess not)?

Is there any other solution?

Thanks.
Rich

Comments

• ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Yes it will. Chain inside width is the same, outside is thinner than 9 speed. You should be able to use a 9speed chain.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,549
    you can run a 10-speed chainset and chain just fine with a 9 speed cassette (i do)

you may need to adjust the front mech slightlly, apart from that it'll all be ok

go for a kmc chain as their 10-speed link is reusable
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Is that a SRAM S900 chainset? Do different chainsets make a difference? Red says 9 & 10sp. S900 just says 10sp? Ommission? Or not compatible?

Edit: Re-reading on pc rather than mobile. Thanks for your responses. Both are pretty clear that it should work fine. Right, winter bike is off to the bike shop for a new GPX BB and the cranks fitted then.
    Rich
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,549
    use a 10-speed chain - the spacing on a 10-speed chainset is slightly narrower (i measured mine when i first did it), so you may get chain rub when on the small ring if you use a 9-speed

i'm not doing it with s900 (shimano 105) but there's not much difference sram/shimano
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny