Is it possible to put road wheels on my mtb?

2»

Comments

• Am I missing something? Do 130mm rear hubs fit in MTBs now?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No, but as they're disc wheels you just build any hub onto a 700c rim.

As an aside, agree that Human Race do good events, I've done the XTT triathlon the last couple of years. Can't run for sh1t, which puts me off duathlons, but they're good events.
  • Enwezor
    Enwezor Posts: 124
    Just one point on putting skinny tyres on your MTB wheels. It makes them so much smaller - I very often have not got enough gears on a downhill road run. Might be an issue if your in a road race

Interesting that you say that.
    Went to a bike fitting service yesterday and they said the same thing. Suggested it might be better to get skinny tyres with a decent size side wall so the overall wheel doesn't get any smaller. They said that you could easily run out of gears.
  • I have these Conti 1.5" city tyres on my commuting mtb. I like them a lot:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18824

I didn't get narrower tyres because the rims are quite wide. I thought that running tyres narrower than the rims might give the tyre an odd profile, more square than round maybe, making cornering less safe.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    with a decent size side wall

Surely they meant wider diameter rim?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A mate put road rims onto his MTB disc hubs and built up a killer fast commuter bike there was just enough clearance front and back. Everything went well till he hit a pothole full of water and folded up the front wheel and went splat into the road. Dont know wether it was his wheel build was shit or road rims just werent up to the job but it was funny when he came to pub with a chunk of chin missing :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Enwezor
    Enwezor Posts: 124
    supersonic wrote:
    with a decent size side wall

Surely they meant wider diameter rim?

No, I think he meant sidewall (my definition being the part of the tyre that joins the tread to the bead, the bead being the part of the tyre that joins the tyre to the rim)
    The bike fitting chap told me that the 26" mtb wheel size is a notional size that takes into account a notional average sidewall of a mtb tyre - the bit between the edge of the rim and the absolute edge of the tyre.
    Therefore, if you put a skinny tyre on, that has very little sidewall, you end up with much smaller wheels, hence the issue with running out of gears.

That's how I understood it.