Replacing outer ring, will XT ring fit my FC-M442 Cranskset?

pealy
pealy Posts: 107
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
As title, the outer ring on my crankset appears to be made from plasticine so I need to replace it. I was thinking of getting a used XT ring from the forums until I can afford and new crankset next year. Any advice on how to check whether it will fit? I obviously need to make sure the bolt pattern looks the same but any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you may need to do some fileing as shimano keeps changing the shoulder diameters.

the BCD of the 4 bolt is constantish and should be 104mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pealy
    Thanks.. So It's likely to fit okay, even if it needs a little encourgement?
  • Yep - holes for bolts should be in the correct matching place - just the odd lump and bump might need removing.

I really wouldn't want to file a M770 though - the outers are about 70 quid, perhaps a deore may be better suited?
  • pealy
    really wouldn't want to file a M770 though - the outers are about 70 quid, perhaps a deore may be better suited?

Thanks, I'm just getting a used one for £10 so not too worried really, didn't want to get something too cheap as the bent one was a right pain at the weekend, had to stick to the small ring the whole time as it was bent in against the middle one.
  • pealy
    FWIW - it did fit... Even without any filing or grinding..