Mull to Hull 2011. bobs bikes charity ride - pics added!

bobs bikes
bobs bikes Posts: 589
edited February 2012 in Tour & expedition
hi all, one of the riders has posted this slide show on you tube.
....enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD2H41komoE

hi all! the time has come to launch my charity ride for next year.
it will take place on the weekend of the 26th august and will finish 450 miles later on sunday 4th september!
:shock:

we will be departing tobermory on the island of mull, west scotland on sunday 28th august and travel through glasgow, kilmarnock, dumfries, gretna, carlilse, penrith, bowness on windermere, skipton, harrogate, york, selby and finishing in hull in east yorkshire on monday 8th september.

the route is road biased this year, to accomodate for more riders and a gentle ride. but is routed so we can have challenges through the mountains. :D

this is not a race! this will be marshalled and supported. i am in talks with hotels and production companies as we speak, so i can post more info when things are signed and sealed.

the monies raised will go to a charity of your choice.
there will be costs involved, but i am begging and pleading for freebies to make it as cheap as possible for all.
any interested peeps, give me a shout!

this year we completed the trans pennine trail both ways! 430 miles mainly off road, so this should be a doddle! LOL :lol:

Comments

• I would do but I'm in Ghana in August building houses. 8)
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Which way out of Tobermory?
    And which Ferry off the Island?
    (If indeed they are not one and the same)
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • hi nwallace.
    we are heading south down mull and taking the ferry from craignure to oban. should be getting the 10 am ferry.
  • This sounds like a great idea and I'd love to be a part of it!

I'm currently 2 weeks away from departing on a European cycling tour that will take me and a friend from Holland to Italy. When I'm back in the UK I just want to carry on doing long distance touring. I live 20 minutes away from Hull and also have relatives in Mull so it sounds perfect.

My email is joeatkins89@aol.com and just let me know how I can join!

One final thing, do you have a rough idea of how much the trip would cost?

Cheers, Joe.
  • bobs bikes
    hi joe, you are welcome to come along. i will email you with the details as we get updated. at the minute i am still in talks with the hotels and sponsorship.

enjoy your trip.
    :D
  • bobs bikes
    quick update......

costs are likely to be £200/ £250 per rider for the week. i have got the hotel in dumfries (which are throwing in full breakfast and full use of the spas and sauna and all leisure facilities)
    i have got camping on loch lomond
    i have got camping at ullswater
    McDonalds old england hotel in bowness on windermere are doing me a deal inclucing full english breakfast for a little bit of luxury again!
    and i have the final hotel, the royal station hotel in hull, who are throwing an after ride party for us and guests in our own function suite before we retire to our own rooms.

the royal station hotel is next to hull train station, so riders from other areas can hop on the train home in the morning.

please bare in mind that these hotels are not travel lodges and are 4 star minimum.

come on, join in!!!!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    tempted, if I can swing the dates

Keep me in the loop!
  • bobs bikes
    right, all hotels and stops bar york are booked. it will cost £250 to come on the trip.
    this includes all transport from hull (or anywhere en route )to mull. all hotels and camping.
    the after ride party and all support crew.

the after party can be attended by family and friends to welcome us back. i have set ticket prices at £25 including the buffet. there is going to be a dj, raffle and disco too!

rooms can be booked at a reduced rate of £60 a room if anyone from out of town wishes to stay the night, although i have 4 compimentary ones for the first out of town riders.

pm me if you require anything further.
  • Thats great news about the hotels and campsites getting on board! Basically count me in! A quick update to my situation; I'm currently in the South of France and have cycled over 1200 miles to get here so hopefully I'll be in good shape for the trip! Just drop me an email with any more information I might need.

Thanks,

Joe
  • bobs bikes
    thats great news joe, welcome abord!

anyone else fancy it??
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Not for me i'm afraid but good luck.

Any reason that you are doing the down hill route? :wink:
  • bobs bikes
    4 weeks to go!
    last chance if you want to loin in!

we have 15 riders so far of all ages, sex and abilities. soi everyoine is welcome!
  • well, we made it !

4k raised, 491 miles all in. 45 minutes early arriving back in hull.

roll on next year!
  • just an update as i found a vid online!

look at what you missed!