Alfine problems

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited November 2010 in The workshop
I've got my new 8 speed Alfine hub with Versa brifters and I'm having a few issues in the wet.

The yellow marks line up perfectly in 4th gear as per installation and in the dry it is generally fine, apart from I sometimes have to pedal backwards to change down when I'm in lower gears. In the wet however, I sometimes lose all four lower gears and if I persist trying to change down it will drop out of gear completely.

Any advice? I've had the hub for a month and I've done about 400 miles on it. Can't take it back to the lbs as I had the bike imported from the US.

Cheers,

Asprilla
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Sorry to hear about that mate. Can you rule in or out the cable tension. I have an alfine on my MTB and have never really been able to see the yellow dots that well. Therefore I tune by hand? Could you try slackening off the cable and then gradually tightening again to fine the indexing sweet spot and see if it helps? I would just like to know whether it's a problem with the tension or a problem inside the hub.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Cheers for that. Got caught out at lights this morning when the clutch sliped again.

I'm going to replace the cabling with gore sealed cables and then tune the tension and see how that goes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would not bother changing the cable unless it has been damaged.

you should see the condition of some that come into the shop and still shift fine.

sounds like set up isues.

Pop it into your LBS for a check over if you can.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown