Questions for the Scots out there..?

IDave
IDave Posts: 223
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Ok this might seem a silly question, but can you cycle up the West Highland Way?

I've walked part of it before but I wasn't sure if you were allowed to cycle on it or if it was even suitable for bike for the full length?

Cheers in advance.

:wink:

Comments

• weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Yes. I plan on doing it sometime "soon".
  • "AYE"
    jAcKaSs

If in doubt, Foot Out Flat Out
  • There is a long section alongside Loch Lomond which is completely unrideable, though I've never seen it myself.
  • May you (legally), yes:

http://www.west-highland-way.co.uk/ww_faq.asp#q1

Can you is another matter. expect to shoulder for tough stretches up loch lomond, and up the devils staircase. I cycled from FW down to Kinlochleven and it was great fun. Met a few other lads coming the other way from Tyndrum to FW which, having walked it, I know would be awesome.
  • I've cycled from Bridge of Orchy to Fort Bill, and it's an excellent ride.

As Crimson says, you'll be pushing your way up the Devils staircase, but it only takes half an hour, and you have an awesome downhill all the way to Kinlochleven to make up for the push.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Hoping to do it next year myself... We rode the final stretch out of fort william on a rest day up there and it was really nice riding, not massively challenging but enough to keep you interested.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • You are allowed to cycle up the WHW, but there are parts that you wont be able to. As has already been mentioned, the northern part of the trail along Loch Lomond is more of a push for parts.

This guy has a pretty decent account of a trip.
    http://allyharp.wordpress.com/2009/05/2 ... pril-2009/
  • The Devils Staircase is aptly named.

This is where the Haggis gather for the mating season and they will attack anything that tries to go up there.

Wear protection on your legs to prevent them biting you and go like the clappers and you should be ok.

Haggis are quite slow but there will be a lot of them to avoid and they can be bad wee bastards.

Regards
    Supergunn.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Article in MBUK when they rode the WHW a few issues ago

http://magazine.bikeradar.com/2010/10/2 ... one-brake/
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i'm not scottish but i found this quite interesting along with the previously mentioned MBUK article

http://www.mynest.co.uk/blog/west-highl ... one-brake/
  • supergunn wrote:
    The Devils Staircase is aptly named.

This is where the Haggis gather for the mating season and they will attack anything that tries to go up there.

Wear protection on your legs to prevent them biting you and go like the clappers and you should be ok.

Haggis are quite slow but there will be a lot of them to avoid and they can be bad wee bastards.

Regards
    Supergunn.

Hoots mon a wee tattie bogle....sorry an English tourist,
    i have heard all about the Haggis, they definately sound like hill haggis during the rut, heres a tip because they have three short legs and three long legs they can only go around the hill in one direction, so once they have attacked, it will be a while before they come back.
  • yea, and expect some awesome scenery!

41225_136712403036892_100000943995747_177400_2789444_n.jpg

Cool. Where's that? Is it coming out of Glencoe towards Kinlochleven?
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Educated guess, road up to the blackwater dam from Kinlochleven
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I'd say that's the stretch from Kinlochleven to Fort Bill 8)
    We did the ride North to South in '04 and plan to do it the right way soon,possibly in 2012 8)
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Thanks for the links, sounds like a lot of fun.

In the Do's and Dont's at the end of the article it says don't ride it on a hardtail.

What are your thoughts on this?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    IDave wrote:
    Thanks for the links, sounds like a lot of fun.

In the Do's and Dont's at the end of the article it says don't ride it on a hardtail.

What are your thoughts on this?
    2 out of 3 of us rode it on a HT and if I did it again I definately would.A couple of bit's err towards a FS but I felt over-biked on mine.
  • m1tch666
    m1tch666 Posts: 148
    supergunn wrote:
    The Devils Staircase is aptly named.

Regards
    Supergunn.

Hoots mon a wee tattie bogle....sorry an English tourist,
    i have heard all about the Haggis, they definitely sound like hill haggis during the rut, heres a tip because they have three short legs and three long legs they can only go around the hill in one direction, so once they have attacked, it will be a while before they come back.

Unless you come across them in mating season as the females have the opposite legs long/short and run round the hills the other direction.......
    Dartmoor Primal 26" 1 x 10, 40 expander
    Banshee Spitfire 650b 1 x 10, 42 expander
  • What are haggis?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    more from the WHW...

28268_123747234335200_100000997715868_126640_1250671_n.jpg
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Sombody looking for me??

Och aye, theirs a fair bit o shoving alang the side o the lomand, and a bit o a scunner on the de'ils staircase, apart fay that the rest o its doable.
    BeOne Frame, RockShox Recon, Mavic 719 XT Hubs, Elixr R brakes, floating rotor, SLX Drivetrain.
    Webdesign project http://www.nfpc.org.uk
  • Hi Mountain Monster,

Haggis are a small mammal only found in these parts of Scotland.
    They have four legs and a trumpet like snout
    Looking from the front the two left legs are much longer than their right legs which
    enables them to run quite quickly round the hill.
    They can be caught with a net if you run round the hill in the opposite direction.

During the mating season the males can be quite agressive and will attack almost anything that moves.
    The females have exactly the same markings and are quite placid creatures and don't normally bite.
    But it can be hard to tell them apart.

A haggis bite can be treated by applying a dab of whiskey to the infected area.

Haggis is a great Scottish tasty delicacy.
    For some odd reason if you catch one thats bitten you it seems to taste a whole lot better.