'shimming' a 1 inch fork to take 1 1/8th stem... dangerous?

Recess
Recess Posts: 58
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Hey folks.

Had a look on here and can't find a similar question, but apologies if this has been asked before.

My winter build is all 1 inch - but I want to use a 1 1/8th stem. I've got a shim, which does it nicely. However, the shim's only the height of the stem, so any spacers aren't shimmed out to make 'em nice and snug.

Now, I figure I can either leave them 'gappy' - and hope that friction takes care of things, or just use tape to shim out the spacers, and leave the shim to the stem.

Is this a bad idea? I've not done it yet, so I don't know if that idea would actually work.

Trying to avoid £3 for another shim, but if that's the best, safest way, I'll just do that. But if I can just pad the spacers out myself, and afford one more pint....

Ta in advance.

John
Success is merely a failure to imagine more...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is quite normal for some 1 1/8th stems to come with shims to take a 1" fork.

more of shimming the stem to suit :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Just tape the steerer.

This is a threadless fork isn't it?
  • Recess
    Yeah - got a nice carbon fella from Kinetic-one. Took a chunk out of the finish though when attaching the headset though... DOH!

Thanks for the advice,

John
  • Bad idea. It's not that you need a shim inside your inch and eigth spacers, you just need 1" spacers.
  • Recess
    Bad idea. It's not that you need a shim inside your inch and eigth spacers, you just need 1" spacers.

Why so? What would be the difference between a shim and just padding it out (apart from the lack of mobility of the pad v shim v 1 inch spacers?)

John
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you can live with the spacers looking a bit wonky, it won't make a shred of different to the integrity of the headset and fork assembly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have a 1 1/8 stem on a 1" steerer with a shim that came with the stem. I would recommend getting some 1" spacers though ( it did). If there spacers are 1 1/8 and get displaced, then the load bearing surface is reduced and could lead to failure. for a few pence if is not worth having headset problems out on the road.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I have a 1 1/8 stem on a 1" steerer with a shim that came with the stem. I would recommend getting some 1" spacers though ( it did). If there spacers are 1 1/8 and get displaced, then the load bearing surface is reduced and could lead to failure. for a few pence if is not worth having headset problems out on the road.
    +1.