Sportive ratings?

Tom Butcher
Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
I sometimes see sportives advertised as being voted a top 10 sportive or whatever. Are there any lists that rank uk sportives or else just have a list with various rider reviews or ratings ? Trying to plan a few for next year as prep for the Marmotte but the only ones I've done before that I'd want to do again are either too late in the year or are hard to get a place for (Fred Whitton).

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

Comments

• glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Where do you live ?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I sometimes see sportives advertised as being voted a top 10 sportive or whatever. Are there any lists that rank uk sportives or else just have a list with various rider reviews or ratings ?

I've never seen any independent ratings but sportive website like cyclosport.org have ratings for all the events

The problem is that the bodies that give the ratings run their own events and these would always get "10 out of 10".
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Agree with the above post, but the cyclosport.org ratings, whilst being informative to a degree as to how the event was viewed, fails to score them correctly, for example 5 people rated the anthony maynard event averaging 94.13%, whereas 25 people rated the verenti dragon ride in wales, giving it 80.43%, but if you took the top 5 ratings from this event i think they would be more than that awarded for the anthony maynard ( i'm no mathematician so not gonna try the math)
    Best way to rate an event is do it yourself, as they say " the proof in the pudding" :wink:
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Easiest way around this is to tell us where you are, when you want to ride and where your willing to travel too.

i'm sure many suggestions will then be thrown at you. Its ultimately up to you what you need to target to complete the Marmotte though, sportives aren't necessarily your best option unlesss your just loking for miles.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Hopefully completing the Marmotte wont be a problem unless I have a problem on the day. I think some long hilly rides would be a good idea so sportives seem to fit the bill - I'll be doing other training besides that as I'll be doing some road racing too - the plan is to supplement race training with some longer rides than normal.

Location is Derbyshire but I'm not necessarily looking for local rides. If there are some great ones then an overnight stay would be possible - otherwise 2-3 hours tops travelling time. Only looking for a couple so would rather do some recommended ones if anyone has any favourites. I did think I'd seen some organisers talk about being a top 10 sportive so assumed there must be some kind of review site that ranked them but maybe not.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • stagger
    stagger Posts: 116
    Hopefully completing the Marmotte wont be a problem unless I have a problem on the day. I think some long hilly rides would be a good idea so sportives seem to fit the bill - I'll be doing other training besides that as I'll be doing some road racing too - the plan is to supplement race training with some longer rides than normal.

Location is Derbyshire but I'm not necessarily looking for local rides. If there are some great ones then an overnight stay would be possible - otherwise 2-3 hours tops travelling time. Only looking for a couple so would rather do some recommended ones if anyone has any favourites. I did think I'd seen some organisers talk about being a top 10 sportive so assumed there must be some kind of review site that ranked them but maybe not.

you could do worse than the etape du dales (mid may) and the spud riley (early june).

I did the etape du dales in marmotte prep. It didn't help, but was a cracking day out..!.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Any long sportives should work well.

I have used Dragon Ride as Etape/Marmotte warm up for the last 4 years. Expect to Dragon again next year too.

Tour of Wessex would also be excellent training.
    Rich