Weight Savings

HardtailsFTW!
HardtailsFTW! Posts: 34
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Hi Guys! Im currently running a 4 year old hardtail rig with incredibly standard componetry and finishing kit... I'm slowly saving up and upgrading certain parts gone clipless, hydraulic brakes deore shifters and a few other bits and bobs but i was wondering what are the best things to replace to make it lighter for preferably a minimal price?

Happy Riding!
29er=Satan

Hills? what hills? oh balls those hills :(

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Anything wheel related will give you best bang for your buck. Heavy wheels have a disproportionate impact on a bikes handling, definitely consider tyres (cheap) and then the wheels (expensive). Unless you are a racer you really ought to be upgrading other stuff due to failure of existing components or for improved performance, i.e. more expensive shifters generally give a better shifting performance, lighter forks generally work better (as they are more expensive).

Forks might be another area to look at, cheap entry level forks are often heavy and don't work brilliantly (especially if they are four years old and haven't been serviced). An expensive purchase but it could make quite a difference to the bike.

The usual addage applies, lighter, stonger cheaper, pick any two.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    As above - if you looking more speed then lighter wheels and tyres should be your first upgrades.
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    forks for sure, ive replaced my stock suntour forks the otherday and even hte "new" dj3's i replaced em with feel well light in comparison.
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • Another vote for wheels! I've just bought me new bike, and it's monstrously heavy, upgrading wheels using a set of 300pound custom made superstar wheels is gonna save me about 700grams, and that is extremely noticable for a wheelset.
  • I bought some light weight tyres anyway and yeah the difference was very noticable... Im going to go for the forks first though i was looking at some tora 318's with adjustable travel for 180... christas is coming :D Thanks guys!!!
    29er=Satan

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Foam grips are about the cheapest weight saving going, less than £10 for 100g over lock-ons!

Otherwise wheels are a good place to look. On forks Toras aren't light, particularly the coil U-turn ones, the SL Solo Airs are a chunk lighter for not much more money.
  • Apparently for some one of my weight (just under 10 stone) solo air is the best sort any recomendation for a good light weight fork for around 200??
    29er=Satan

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Second hand SIDs?
  • i would like sids but for 200 realy? i havent looked yet but there quite exoensive i will have a look though cheers
    29er=Satan

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    whats the bike and spec?
  • its a specialized hardrock sport rst forks deore groupset specialized costum wheels and easton ea30 finnishing group... so fairly standard
    29er=Satan

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd be tempted to go for forks first, ie RS Rebas.
  • yeah that was my general first step anyway after getting hydraulic brakes and as my forks are leaking i have to rebuild them after nearly every ride....
    29er=Satan