Oooo it hurt.....

stumpyjon
stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Only been out twice since the end of May and not ridden at all since the beginning of August so today I decided to haul my great gut out and try and get back into riding. Thought I'd do a gentle road ride on my road bike, no mud, minimal faffing easy pootle.

IT HURT!

Didn't help that it was only around 3 degrees and due to a complete lack of fitness I was gulping the cold air down, felt very sick by the top of the first hill.

I do feel good now I'm back but I'm b*ggered if I'm going to get myself into this state again.

So if like me you've not been out for a while (doesn't matter why, for me it was work going stupid amongst other things) get out and wobble the lard a bit, the longer you leave it the harder it's going to be when you do decide to get out again.

Post up your own reasons / excuses for not riding recently so we can shoot them down in flames and motivate you back out again (at least the Summer's over so we can look forward to some dry riding).
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result

Comments

• I consider not riding for 2 weeks being a problem for me, and it's normally just lazyness as I do have the time to ride.

But I find watching a MTB film once a week or so keeps me motivated to get back into riding!
  • I consider not riding for 2 weeks being a problem for me, and it's normally just lazyness as I do have the time to ride.

But I find watching a MTB film once a week or so keeps me motivated to get back into riding!

What films do you reccomend, I've seen all of the Earthed ones and New World Disorder.. can you reccomend any others?..
  • I had the same problem :cry: but i found after the first winter ride i was back to normal even though i assure you that second ride was quite a push... However I had this problem last year and found a excersize bike in a recycling centre got in to the habbit of going on it for a bit every night whilst watching t.v but i had to get rid of it :x
    29er=Satan

Hills? what hills? oh balls those hills :(

What films do you reccomend, I've seen all of the Earthed ones and New World Disorder.. can you reccomend any others?..

New world disorder 5 has to be my favoritre, the disorderly conduct one, although you have probably seen it. The Collective-ROAM and Seasons are quite good, and short but sweet ones are the Stund episodes. Collectively Kranking up the Disorder is also a good one.

Do a search on google for MTB DVD torrents, and you can easily grab a few. Downloaded a 2gig folder of them, think 20 in total from some torrents.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    ride every week at least once.....usually twice.

anyone using weather or pain as an excuse is a total GAYER.

thread closed.
  • If you are not in the habit don,t forget a hot shower and some basic stretching so the muscles are ok. Easily damaged in the cold.
  • I find if I haven't ridden for a while my ass takes a bashing (oooh eeer misses!) Dunno if it gets used to it eventually, but often after a break I can't ride for the next 4 days!
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Had just over 8 months off from July 09 to Mar this year after a big crash, arms fulla metal and confidence shot to poo, hurt like actual buggery getting back on lost my sadle bum, legs all bandy and lurched and pitched about at 4mph on my XC like a proper noob but the last 9 months have been great, getting quicker (slowly) and a fitness is starting to get better.

Back into Hospital end of the month to get some metalwork removed, will proably mean a month out of the saddle, but it'lll be worth it. Be allowed back on my DH bike again once I'm healed up! :D

Not riding becase it's cold!!! Sod that, try not being able to even hold onto the bars for months on end and you'll never lack to the motivation to get out on a frost morn ever again!
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    The only good reason not to ride is if you're injured, anything else is just an excuse!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!