In the mood to upgrade my Zesty 714.

Devastazione
Devastazione Posts: 280
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Brainstorm me people.

What could I upgrade on an already nearly perfect bike ? I would like to reduce some weight :wink:
Specialized Tarmac Sworks
Canyon Spectral 8.9

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    A new frame lol!

you're not trying to sell yours are you? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Brainstorm me peope.

What could I upgrade on an already nearly perfect bike ? I would like to reduce some weight :wink:
    Change the rider?
    Chop an arm off?
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Not a lot of dead weight there, could save a bit on the cassette if it's using the standard SLX one, maybe a bit on the bars? Some Easton Monkeylite EC70s should be a similar size and save 100g over most stock bars.

I take it the tyres are being run tubeless?
  • Foam grips?
    Ti bolts?

How much do you want to spend?
  • Stop carrying your wallet while you're riding.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited November 2010
    Weigh all the standard own brand kit, no better way to find out what to replace. But it's already a seriously light bike for the job it does so it'll be hard to save more without either spending or losing strength/durability. Those wheels aren' particularily light but with good reason frinstance.

Don't mess with the cassette, waste of time- leave it to wear out, XT isn't much lighter and half the weight difference is in the lockring so if you've got an old XTcassette, use that.

If it was mine, I'd be adding weight- dropper seatpost.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • arnt the Xt wheelset on them circa 1600g?? M776 iirc?? lightweight tubeless AM set?

opssibly find some weight to shed on the stem and bars, but even if you spent many £££ you'd only be looking at a few hundred grams!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Anonymous
    it pains me to do this but i agree with northwind, dont shave weight, add a bit with a dropper post, it will change the bike and it will be amazing.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Drill some holes in the rims, cranks and brake levers, trials riders do it so it must work :lol:

I agree with the above, a dropper post would make a big difference convenience wise, not a lot worth upgrading unless you are happy to spend a grand or so on top end carbon wheels and finishing kit.

Maybe pedals depending on what you are using at the moment.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • toasty
    Northwind wrote:
    Don't mess with the cassette, waste of time- leave it to wear out, XT isn't much lighter and half the weight difference is in the lockring so if you've got an old XTcassette, use that.

11-34 SLX = 315g
    11-32 XT = 262g

and I've heard about the lock ring difference, both SLX and XT for me were about 10g :/
    arnt the Xt wheelset on them circa 1600g?? M776 iirc?? lightweight tubeless AM set?

M778, which are basically the XC wheelset, but with a 15mm axle. Not massively light for 19mm rim/24 spoke wheels. The weight on centerlock wheels is a bit deceptive anyway, you end up with rotors which weight 50g more. Not cheap finding much lighter though, I'd swap to Pro IIs on Crest for the wider profile, cartridge bearings and more spokes, personal preference though, similar weight :)
  • Anonymous
    Is that so? I thought centrelock rotors were meant to be a little lighter, because of the alloy (just to annoy the pedants) spider?
  • toasty
    Is that so? I thought centrelock rotors were meant to be a little lighter, because of the alloy (just to annoy the pedants) spider?

They have pins instead of the bolts, but aside from that it's more metal and a lockring.

http://julmtb.com/index.php?menu=photos_poids&id_type=183&ordre=marque&action=

Handy list there. Basically XTR 160mm with lockring = 130g, Hope floating with bolts = 95g. XT is another bit heavier than the XTR ones.

Another fantastic Shimano decision, people mock Hed Doctors but I can't see how they're any worse than centerlock for adding a bit of weight to fix a tiny problem that doesn't really exist :) Combined with their pushing of 15mm axles, because 20mm, although arguably better in all ways, doesn't work very well with their ancient cup and cone system. Lovely.
  • Anonymous
    Now whilst I agree that 15mm is just bullorks, I really like the centrelock idea. No more seized tiny little bolts to shear when you try to undo them. It's just the right way to do things, regardless of any weight difference.
    (but yeah, i am surprised at the weight, I was sure I'd heard they were lighter)

What the hell are you on about the pins?
  • toasty
    What the hell are you on about the pins?

rt77rotor.jpg

Here's the XT one, it's like a normal 6 bolt, with the extra bit attached to the middle. Ok pinning may be the wrong word. Rivets? :P

After having 2 sets of centerlock wheels with them I'm not as sold, seems like a bit of a marketing scam to make their wheels competitive. Were that weight on the wheel I can't see them selling many narrow, 24 spoke XC wheels, with cup and cone weighing over 1700g for £300.
  • Anonymous
    edited November 2010
    Scrap that - brain failure :oops:

but...
    My XT rotor, doesn't look like that. It's almost all alloy (to annoy the pedants) spider, with the braking surface riveted to it.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Not many more places to lose weight unless you want to spend £mega.00...

Cranks - XTR will shave 100g or so.
    Tyres - XC racer tyres will save you some weight, but you'll compromise on grip and endurance.
    Ti/Alloy bolts throughout - won't save you much, probably 150g from the whole bike at most.
    Saddle - Something lighter - Sellia Italia SLR at 135g?
    Seatpost - KCNC one's only going to be 50g or so lighter.
    Stem - KCNC one's lighter, buy only by 25g or so.
    Ti Cassette - Lots of money for a consumable item.

But, IMO, what you'd be doing would be turning an All Mountain bike, into an XC race bike. Not sure if this is what you want to achieve?
  • toasty
    Scrap that - brain failure :oops:

Hehe, my fault. Bit of a lack of punctuation on my behalf, it was a bit of an odd paragraph :) That does look more like a Deore one, swift image search fail. I take it yours is one of the newer ones

shimano-disc-rotor-xt-6-bolt-rt76-.jpg

?

No idea how much they weigh to be honest :)
  • Anonymous
    That's the one, sort of, yeah.
    Mine is the centrelock one though!
    I don't know how much it weighs either, and frankly, I don't care. But i'd often heard their weight advantage badnied around.
  • toasty
    I don't know how much it weighs either, and frankly, I don't care.

Good to hear, I'm fairly sure posts are sometimes posted on here that aren't for you though. The topic was the weight of the wheels, on which you directly asked a question on the rotor weight.
    But i'd often heard their weight advantage badnied around.

What you'll hear is the news that the hubs are lighter than non-centerlock Shimano hubs. The stupid thing is the saving is less than the extra weight on the rotors. People see what they want to see to justify their purchases.
  • Anonymous
    Fair enough, even though I'm not concerned, I do have a passing interest, jf you see shat I mean.
  • Why don't you buy a drop post and then spend money getting it back down to the original weight.

Or just buy loads of really blingy stuff!
  • Foam grips?
    Ti bolts?

How much do you want to spend?

No more than 200 Euro at the moment,more or less.
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I am sure Centrelock rotors could be lighter if they tried a bit harder with the design! I like the concept, but it needs work.

Some wheels it does seem to save weight: Fulcrum Red Metal 5 are 1805g for the centrelock, yet 1904g for the 6 bolt [claimed].