OT - Just received £300 of 'dodgy' money through paypal

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Checked my emails to see if an item I'd listed on ebay had sold - it had. Saw I had a paypal payment email then right next to it was another one saying paypal thought the transaction wasn't authorised and were doing an investigation - payment is 'held'

Had a look at the ebay winner email and it's got a completely different email/postal address to the paypal one (ones in Wales, the other in Manchester).

Anyone else had this? I'm guessing someone hacked this guy's account and was hoping I'd post the item.

Obviously the item is going nowhere...

Comments

• I had this happen to me, except my account was the one hacked to buy 2 Iphones.

Paypal froze the transactions and having notified me at 1pm of the hack, by 11pm the cash was back in my account. Have to say, top marks to Paypal for the speed they sorted it out. I fired off emails to the sellers to warn them - and stopped at least one from putting the phone in that night's post.

Seems to be that they go for sellers of high value items and try to get them to post out immediately - the 'buyer's' acocunt gets it's money back from Paypal, and the seller loses out as they have posted to an address not linked to Ebay/ Paypal - be very careful of posting to an address that's not on the Paypal/ Ebay approved list - especially for high values.

Rich
  • Oh and for Gods' sake if anyone asks you pay as a gift (when using {Paypal) - tell 'em to bugger off.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Guys this is not encouraging me to dip my toes into the Ebay selling waters, but I'll MU and give it a go. Fortunately my goods are definitely not high-end stuff :(
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Guys this is not encouraging me to dip my toes into the Ebay selling waters, but I'll MU and give it a go. Fortunately my goods are definitely not high-end stuff :(

Not that I'm saying you're as computer illiterate (or old) as my dear mum but everytime she mentions she's thinking about selling stuff on ebay it sends a cold shiver down my spine. you have to be pretty savvy to all the scams to make sure you don't get stung these days.

be extremely careful with your dealings on there and remember just because paypal says you have money in your account it doesnt mean it can't be taken back out again (in such situations as the OP has mentioned).
    Hat + Beard
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    hatbeard wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Not that I'm saying you're as computer illiterate (or old) as my dear mum but everytime she mentions she's thinking about selling stuff on ebay it sends a cold shiver down my spine. you have to be pretty savvy to all the scams to make sure you don't get stung these days.

be extremely careful with your dealings on there and remember just because paypal says you have money in your account it doesnt mean it can't be taken back out again (in such situations as the OP has mentioned).

I'm wary of selling on Ebay - sold some v festival tickets (at cost) last year, it told me I'd been paid so I posted the tickets, and then it told me a day later the money had been returned. Shame my tickets weren't returned. Eventually got the money but it was too much hassle.
  • Cafewanda
    Hatbeard, are you saying I'm old? :shock: :shock: :twisted:
  • hatbeard
    Cafewanda wrote:

Of course not, I don't think the topic of age cropped up at the union but I had you pegged for early/mid twenties.

:wink:
    Hat + Beard
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I had a dick years ago try a chargeback scam on Paypal from a sale on Ebay.

He did this to about a dozen sellers using a different name for each purchase but the same address.

Problem was the idiot signed for mine, and others, items recorded and special delivery. I got my money back from Paypal and the idiot gave me £150 back as well as I'd threatened to pay him a visit.

He was prosecuted for fraud as well. :lol:
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Don't take paypal. I haven't sold for a while but had never accepted paypal. Send me a cheque and I will post once it has cleared :)
    A biking runner :)
  • Cafewanda
    hatbeard wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Of course not, I don't think the topic of age cropped up at the union but I had you pegged for early/mid twenties.

:wink:

Smooth. Very smooth :wink::)
  • Cafewanda
    Hrun wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Don't take paypal. I haven't sold for a while but had never accepted paypal. Send me a cheque and I will post once it has cleared :)

OK. Sounds good.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    There now seems to be some kind of devils compact between eBay and PayPal - you can't sell unless you open an account so that they can collect fees direct :roll:
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    There now seems to be some kind of devils compact between eBay and PayPal - you can't sell unless you open an account so that they can collect fees direct :roll:

If I am remembering correctly, eBay bought a very large portion (all?) of PayPal many years ago.
  • hatbeard
    marcusjb wrote:

If I am remembering correctly, eBay bought a very large portion (all?) of PayPal many years ago.

yup. ebay owns paypal.
    Hat + Beard
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Just for another possibility, I had this happen to an item i sold a few months back. I was informed from ebay it was because I hadn't sold anything else similarly priced, the payment was held for a few days, and I posted on the day it came through properly. I contacted the buyer and he was unaware of it, no idea to this day what it was all about but have you tried contacting the seller? It could be a paypal action on behalf of the buyer.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    The email I had specifically said the seller may not have authorised payment.

I emailed the guy and he replied back to say it was a legitimate purchase - seems he changed his address on paypal but not on ebay and it got flagged up. Now it's a battle to try and get paypal to release the payment - no joy yet.

Very scared of paypal to be honest - so many horror stories from the sellers point of view.