Installing older pc games

Andy
Andy Posts: 8,207
edited October 2010 in The Crudcatcher
I've just installed Fifa Soccer Manager which came out in 1995. When I go to play it, it comes up with a message telling me it failed to start because it is missing QMIXER95.dll

Anyone know where I get that from or any way around it?

Comments

• Google QMIXER95.dll, download and put it in the right directory... BUT I think it is only windows 95/98 (Win 4, except NT possibly) complient
    You could download windows Virtual PC from microsoft and optain a copy of Windows 95 or 98 which is easy to do, then run the old OS within your current one.

I use this to run my old DOS and old WIN programs that won't run on Vista.
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    are you running it in compatibility mode?
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Foobies wrote:
    are you running it in compatibility mode?
    As the man said, run it in Windows 95 compatibility mode.
    Properties on the exe file.....well you know where to find it.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I've tried the compatibility mode. Still comes up with same error code.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    DOSbox maybe?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Sorry to hijack here but I'm having a similar problem.

I'm trying to relive my small child years by playing my favorite game Lemming's, who remembers that?

Anyway, I found it in a charity shop, its a '95 disk and when I insert it into my XP computer, it doesn't register as a game at all. I have to open up all the files and I get lots of game icons and photoshop files of the levels and a few sound things for WMP

Now, is there anything I can do to make it run or is it a case of I have to forget about it and carry on living the current days
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    peter413 wrote:
    Sorry to hijack here but I'm having a similar problem.

I'm trying to relive my small child years by playing my favorite game Lemming's, who remembers that?

Anyway, I found it in a charity shop, its a '95 disk and when I insert it into my XP computer, it doesn't register as a game at all. I have to open up all the files and I get lots of game icons and photoshop files of the levels and a few sound things for WMP

Now, is there anything I can do to make it run or is it a case of I have to forget about it and carry on living the current days
    An Amiga emulator is probably the best way to play Lemmings on the PC.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Lemmings was legendary!

I thing going the virtual PC mode is the best way around the FIFA Soccer Manager issue.
    Now I am not sure about MS Virtual PC needing a retail copy of Windows 95 like VMWare does.

Andy if you need a copy of 95 Retail let me know I think I may be able to rustle up a copy from an extensive OS library I have access too.. so extensive it even contains "Microsoft OS2 V.1"
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    ... Is a total PITA
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I am not sure about MS Virtual PC needing a retail copy of Windows 95 like VMWare does.

It doesnt need to be retail, but you need to install an OS for it to run... It is purely a Virtual PC. It will prompt you for rom if you haven't installed one.

VPC Is realy good in my eyes, havn't needed to use it for a while, but it is practical, any OS can be installed on it, aslong as you have the correct drivers/device perametres for it to work correctly with its virtual hardware.
    The drivers are included for MS DOS Win 4 & NT 4 and OS/2.

http://vetusware.com/ has old OSs free for download.
    I have my own vhds of Win98 (build 4222) if anyone would like it, same as DOS 6.22 with WIN 3.11

I did have DOS 6.22 and NT 3.5 on dual boot vhd, but I formated my HDD and lost it... Oh well.