Best chain lube for winter use?

richtw
richtw Posts: 118
edited October 2010 in Workshop
Any recommendations welcome - was thinking of using a teflon/ wax dry forumla (finish line I think) that I use on MTB but any other suggestions welcome.

Would rather a dry lube than a wet lube so it does not pick up cr@p.... all thoughts criticism wecome :D

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm wondering if it really matters whether, whatever oil you use, is exposed to cold as opposed to heat. I don't quite understand how riding in the winter is worse than the summer on a chain. If you're the type who rides in all kinds of weather, year around,
    then the only real difference is that it's colder out. If you're more of a "good" weather rider then the only difference between summer and winter to a chain is still just cold and heat. What I am sure of is that soon, very soon, someone will come out with a winter specific lube. It's just a matter of the Ad men figuring out how best to sell it to cyclist's
    without being laughed at.
    You may "feel" the difference between the seasons but that doesn't mean the chain does the same.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Dont think I've seen anything on chain lubes on here before - so I thought I'd start the ball rolling! I guess it depends on how you rate the balance between chain life, black gunge and the need to re-lube your chain frequently.
    I use this all year round: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/White_Lightning_Epic_Ride_Lubricant_120ml_Bottle/5360012101/
    It seems to give good chain life and doesn't get things too mucky. On the other hand, it is fairly soluble in water and although it will need a re-application after every wet ride.
  • richtw
    In the UK summer is dry (ish) and warm (ish), winter is cold, wet and with salt on the road. Net reult is that wet oil gunks up very very quickly - think 10's of miles rather than 100 or so.....
  • richtw
    In the UK summer is dry (ish) and warm (ish), winter is cold, wet and with salt on the road. Net reult is that wet oil gunks up very very quickly - think 10's of miles rather than 100 or so.....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I use Finish Line wet lube year round. Can't say I've ever noticed it gunking up after 10's of miles. I wipe the chain and the rest of the transmission with wet wipes once a week or so.
    More problems but still living....
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Richtw wrote:

Pretty much the same thing over here. I don't ride much in bad weather(too old and don't want to) but I'm thinking that if I did I would most likely use whatever lube I used for the summer with a few more chain wipe downs and relubes. Not sure what else can be done winter specific wise. Keep it well lubed has always worked for me.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    dennisn wrote:
    I'm wondering if it really matters whether, whatever oil you use, is exposed to cold as opposed to heat. I don't quite understand how riding in the winter is worse than the summer on a chain.

The winter rides built up far more dirt and salt which amounts to abrasive paste if you dont clean it regularly (which can make components wear quicker).
    amaferanga wrote:
    I use Finish Line wet lube year round. Can't say I've ever noticed it gunking up after 10's of miles. I wipe the chain and the rest of the transmission with wet wipes once a week or so.

Me too amaferanga, my small bottle lasts around a year; I tried the dry lube and found it to not be as effective tbh.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME dry lube is totally ineffective for the UK - within minutes of starting a wet ride your chain will be squeaking like a mouse on acid. I use Finish Line XC all year - wipe the chain down with rag soaked in WD40. Apply lube from dropper bottle onto each roller - wipe off excess and job done.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Any EP car gear oil (Halfords £6.99 will do), as recommend by Regina and Honda amongst many others for motorcycle chains (non O or X ringed), a little more effective than Finish Line (probably due to the EP additives and increased viscosity), and about 1/8th of the price.

Fashionistas can refill their old Finish Line bottles with gear oil, well the bottles are a handy size after all!
    "Coming through..."