First custom build

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited October 2010 in MTB buying advice
I have wanted to do this for a while & have just got around to ordering an On-One 456 Summer Season frame (tasteful glow in the dark paint).
Cant wait for it to turn up, going to build it in to a fairly hardcore trail bike for riding on the local downhill tracks.
I have got a pair of DH wheels from ebay & some bits from my old hardtail (gearing, brakes etc) but not too sure what bits to use for the rest of it. Have decided on getting (used) RS Pike, Domain or Revelation forks.
There is so much choice for bars, stems, seats etc ranging from mega cheap to stoopid expensive.
Bit worried about getting the wrong bits & screwing up the build.

Comments

• ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Firstly what's you budget, how wide do you wan't your bars, stem length etc.
    And the Pikes would be spot on for the build :)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would be looking at some Fox Vanilla 36's for a hardcore bike or some Floats if you want lighter

I would be going for a shorter stem (maybe around 50mm) and some wide bars (maybe 720mm and above) as well
  • I assume you mean coil Pikes? If so, remember that you *may* need to get a new spring depending on your weight. They're nice forks though. I had the 454 u-turn version and they were very good, if not a little heavy (to be expected with coil forks though really).
    Revs would be lighter, and be easier to tune for your weight, but tend to be a little more expensive (depending on which version and which axle type etc).

As said above, for bars and stuff, it's down to budget and personal preference. it'd be pointless me recommending you some Atlas FR bars if you want a mid-riser with about 710mm length for £30 for example.

Do you have an old set of bars you could use to start with? That way you can use them to decide if you need more / less height or length etc.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have looked at Fox forks & they are too expensive, think I will go with coil pikes & get new springs fitted to suit my colossal mass. I did buy a set of 710 wide FSA gravity bars and tried them on my Trance this morning & they are now staying on that bike, I love the feel of wide bars. Not sure about stem length, I use a 90mm stem on my trance but that has got a shorter top tube. Will I need a chain device?
    Budget is as little as possible, maybe less!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If you are running a single ring then a chain device is advisable, if a double, it isn't necessary but I run one anyway
  • rockmonkeysc
    Which one do you run on your double?