Cycling around Sleaford/Lincs/Grantham

Lady Venom
Lady Venom Posts: 213
Hello, have recently moved to the area and have been warned off about cycling around the main roads here (A15/A17/High Dyke etc.) - due to high volumes of HGVs for starters and fast drivers due to the straight and flat nature of the roads.

Does anyone know of any safe areas to cycle, even places to drive to and ride. I'm going mad on my rollers and have only found a few safe routes either very long (50+ miles) or very short (sub-10). And I have seen very few cyclists around.....

The death toll signs are putting me off and people are saying they know of at least 6 cyclists who have been killed in the last year. Having recently had a pretty bad cycling accident I'm kind of cautious at the moment!

Comments

• 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Where are you based(town/city)?
  • cj504
    cj504 Posts: 110
    Lady Venom,

Grantham's Witham Wheelers are great, their website is http://www.withamwheelers.co.uk - worth a go. Sunday rides get a fair few and with people calming down after the season more should be turning up! You'll soon learn some nice routes/ways out of town with them and the local knowledge![/url]
    Thresholds, 60-80%, HRM's...I'll just go for a ride
  • Mandylou
    Mandylou Posts: 1
    Likewise, i live in sleaford but the cycle clubs seem more on time trials or doing many miles, i am a leisure cyclist who likes to take time to enjoy the scenery as well as the ride. I tend to spend 4 hours travelling. I do anythinv from 10 miles to 60 miles. Would love more causual cyclists to join. Any ideas please.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Many of the roads you are on anout are actually ok to cycle on i use a mix of main roads and back lanes. I dont have problems on main rrunk roads. The only way to get tk know routes you like is to go out and explore. There will be a netwrok of back lanes all younhave to dk is ride down them and see where they go. You can of course use a map to plan a route and take the map with you.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.