Another creaking question

dan1502
dan1502 Posts: 568
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Just to say I have read the park tools guide and have removed the cranks and bottom bracket and regreased all treads and faces thoroughly and retightened using a torque wrench and probably overtightenining if anything. I did this as I thought this may be the problem as I have recently fitted a new bottom bracket and cranks etc.

Anyway I thought I'd solved it then at Dalby yesterday it was as bad as before. I load creaking/cracking sound. I am now thinking the most likely culprit is the headset area as I recently got the LBS to adjust the travel of my forks from 80mm to 100mm and they removed and refitted them. This will have changed the geometry and hence forces on the frame and could explain it. It started around the same time. It's so loud it's not just annoying to me but to other riders in the group.

It was happening even when putting no force on the pedals (not pedallin). Is there anything I can easily try myself regarding the forks/headset to resolve this?

Thanks

Dan
Santa Cruz Tallboy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    work through everything else then. bars/stem/seat/seat post etc as it says in the park guide.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan1502
    I'll try loosening the top cap and stem and readjusting. Bars are properly torqued. The problem wasn't there before the forks were removed,adjusted and replaced but I did change the drivetrain around the same time but have checked and double checked that. Pretty sure it's not the seat as post is in tight, lightly copper greased and seat clamp properly torqued. If checking the stem doesn't work I'll post again, thanks.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • dan1502
    After removing and refitting the forks I'm pretty sure it is the seatpost now. I feel a bit stupid but I'd discounted this as it was greased and clean. I confirmed it by feeling for the click rather than listening.

I tried setting the post really high and it seemed to go (though I neally fell off the bike!!).

Am I right in thinking a shorter seatpost in the only solution? I currently have a 430 mm Thomson layback fitted. I'm just wondering how short I can go but hopefully 350 would do it.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Not sure about the seat post. You sure it's not the saddle?

I had a terrible creak from my Orange EV0 4, thought it was the BB turns out (after fitting new one and noise still there) it was my QR on the back wheel...... DOH!!

Harry.
  • Have you looked for cracks in your frame near your cranks?
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • dan1502
    No cracks in frame and when I lifted the post right out it seemed ok. Having read up on this it would appear that when the seat post is long and very close fitting it can be the cause. I don't need a 410 so will swap it for a 330 and see if it solves it.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    My bike is creaking like an old lady at the moment. It happened after a week in Coed y Brennin. I tightened up the cranks a bit which I think helped but that didn't last so it must be something else. I'll be giving it a proper look at before the weekend.

Let me share. When I put preasure on the cranks it creaks then stops. 180 degress and apply pressure to the other side, it creaks then again stops shotly after. That's why I think it's the bottom bracket. I'll investigate further.
    Many happy trails!
  • dan1502
    I kept being told it was the bottom bracket so ended up tightening it more than the recommended torque. I think I'm now going to refit them at the correct torque as I had done originally. I'm not sure grease is needed on the threads either so may clean that off too. All experience I guess!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy