Tubeless?

coopsman1
coopsman1 Posts: 337
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought a 2009 stumpy comp.

It has the captain tyres fitted and I was wondering if there is any way to determine if they are tubeless without having to take the tyre off?

Thanks

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    yes - the valve is different.

if you look carefully, you should see rubber in and around the hole in the rim - this is to seal around the hole.

if you have tubes inside, you see only the metal of the valve stem.

if that doesn't help, undo the little ring and listen as all the air gushes out. :o
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Sure taking a tyre on and off is a 5 min job? Just take it off and have a look?

But I think most bikes come with tubes fitted from the factory and spare valve stems of the rim is tubeless compatible.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    If the tyres are spesh tubeless tyres theyll have 2bliss written on the carcass somewhere. They'll come with tubes in them whether they are 2bliss or not, so the valve will be a standard tube valve.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    jairaj wrote:
    Sure taking a tyre on and off is a 5 min job? Just take it off and have a look?

you don't even need to take it of, just lift the tyre at the valve and look for an inner tube.

note that if you have tubless tyres, you will have fun inflating them - I struggle using a barrely type pump, usualyy having to use an iar compressor so avoid breaking the tyre/rim seal - you can use water with washing up liquid and dip it aroudn hte tyre wall to help it seal but still isn't an easy task,

BTW - what I said eariler may not be enough since I have seen some different valve inserts that look indistinguishable to tube inserts.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The bike comes from the Factory with tubes, although they are tubeless ready tyres. The rims can be converted with some yellow tape and valves, although rim strips will make inflation easier.