Deep section rims for wheel build

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Any suggestions? Would be interested in Zipp or similar, but can't find anything listed for sale on a rim-only basis! Thanks!
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• Been looking for something similar myself and coming up against the same obstacles. I was looking to build up a sub 1500g set of wheels for fast training and racing. Trying to do it on a budget of £350. Found a company called "Soul" which look like a nice set of hubs. What other components are you using?
  • mclarent
    I was thinking of a powertap rear hub, maybe a hope for the front. Biggest issue is what rims I can get! Someone suggested FFWD today, spotted these: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/20530/Fast_Forward_F6R_Replacement_Full_Carbon_Clincher_Rim...
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You can get a pair of generic carbon rims from China for £120 on ebay - tempted to try some for a build
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mclarent
    That's an interesting idea, can you post a link? And what's the downside? Braking surface? Aerodynamics?
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Your best bet (if you can stomach the graphics) are the Planet X rims at £150 and 350g each. They are Gigantex, who are a well-respected manufacturer, and are a step above the eBay specials. Soul Prodigy hubs are well regarded too, but £350 isn't realistic - £500 is likely to be your minimum.

If you'd like to get your wheels built up, get in contact with Derek at www.wheelsmith.co.uk, who builds wheels with the same Gigantex rims that Planet X use, but without the decals.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I built up some wheels with Halo Mercury rims on Novatec hubs, came in at 1508g. The rims are 30mm deep and alloy rather than carbon. Including spoke plugs, rather than rim tape, the whole lot came in at about £250. I don't like the Novatec skewers, but the hubs are very smooth and were spot on the claimed weight. I've done about 3K on them, and they still run smooth as you like. I am tempted by the Planet X rims, for the next build, but to be honest I'm not sure if I'd notice any advantage from the extra rim depth?
  • Aiden, you seem quite clued up could you give me some suggestions of what to buy or where to look? I am after building a pair of wheels to compare weight wise to my Zondas and be equally as bomb proof. I would like them to be under 1500gms and able to cope with an 85kg rider. I would like to build the front wheel with radial spokes and the back in a 2x, radial pattern. I have built wheels before that have been bomb proof but only ever with 32 spokes. I would like something to look a bit more "blingy" The fun for me would be in the building. £500 would be my absolute tops.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Hmm, I only have Internet Forum Knowledge! I am not a wheel builder. All knowledge I have is theoretical or from others - I don't have much first-hand experience. I did some research into the cheap end of carbon rims and concluded that eBay rims are not worth the risk as you can't know the quality and a rim failure could be pretty darn painful.

If you're looking for bombproof clinchers there are the standard trade-offs to consider:

Deeper-section rim is more aerodynamic and can be built with fewer spokes (which in turn is more aero) but will have a greater mass at the rim and are likely to be less comfortable.

Shallow-section rims will have less mass at the rim but require more spokes, but should be more comfortable.

I assume you want radial NDS on the rear to improve lateral stiffness? This would likely be at the cost of resisting winding-up.

FWIW I think that low spoke counts are fine with carbon rims, which have the necessary stiffness, but at 85kg I wouldn't go below 24/28 using aluminium rims unless they are particularly deep.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.