Bike shop in SW London that can reame a headtube?

Brig
Brig Posts: 21
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just bought a new headset but as it's a deep cup I would need to use a reaming tool to make a bore in the headtube a bit deeper.

My bike is an old Scott Octane. ( I know it's an ancient bike but I like it :D )

7ed83bd4245556b84e56f063c0b363fe_view.jpg

Should be a very easy job if I had the tool but don't want to spend the £130 for a reaming tool for just one use.

So today I went to my LBS which is just down the road (Moore's Cycles in Isleworth) thinking they might be able to do it for me but they didn't even know what a reaming tool was. The comment I got was "As you got a Scott bike you need to get a Scott headset"...

So does anyone know where in South West London I can find a decent bike shop that can do other things than putting kids bikes together, i.e. a shop who can do headset reaming?

Or does someone live in SW London and have a reaming tool I could borrow? :D

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    surely the cheapest/easier solution is to return the headset - Chain Reaction give full refund, no questions asked, and buy a headset that is designed for your bike?

you also risk the reaming to be done badly/incorrectly.

alternative solution is to trim down the headset - it doesn't need to be accurate as it is the squareness of the head tube ends that positions the races.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that headset is not needed. send it back. Deep cups can be useful on frames with long travel SC forks or frames with ovalized headtubes.

send it back and get a "normal" one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Brig
    Brig Posts: 21
    Yeah that's what I've done now. Have ordered the normal version of the one I bought.