Rear changer won't change......

Stupidboypike
Stupidboypike Posts: 84
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Sorry, I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere..............

Deore xt will either shift up but not down, or visa versa. No amount of cable adjusting will sort it. Everything is clean and free moving including the cable.

You know how it is........you pull the trigger (or push), and it sooooo nearly changes. A tiny amount of cable adjustment will sort it but then it won't change back.

Any ideas please?
I'm not fat, I'm big boned......

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Bent hanger?
  • No, it's just the way...................

Don't think so. Certainly not visibly bent. Somebody else did suggest the same.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited October 2010
    Try new cables.
    Is the cable in the groove. (Connected to the mech properly). If not it will give a different pull ratio.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, clogged cables, or frayed. Check are cut flush too.
  • Many thanks.

Any other offers?
  • Many thanks.

Any other offers?

Most likely worn cables.

Would try that before searching for other reasons.
  • Make sure the cable is fed in the right way, too. I've set them up wrong in the past and it had this effect- one way shifting, either up or down.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Cables, replace inner AND MAINLY outer, and USE SHIMANO, nothing else even if reputedly "better".

If that does not work then you have something that is "giving" under cable tension. Bad shifter pod maybe, who knows. But cables first, will fix it 99%.
    Giant Reign X1
  • Many thanks.

Have had the whole cable apart today. It looks ok, all nice and shiny and such. Its only about 5 months old, but has done about 900 miles. I will stick a new one on however, and take it from there........
  • lexinoo
    lexinoo Posts: 132
    Did you sort it?having the same problems with my deore,dont really know how to set it up properly,bike is only a few months old.
  • Yes, mate.
    The hanger must have been very slightly out of line. Took me a while to find it though. It was not visibly bent.

I believe there is a tool available for this.
  • When I bent my hanger I put it into a vice and very slowly bent it back. Not had any problems since after about 100 miles :roll: