about as OT as it can get...

Alphabet
Alphabet Posts: 436
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Wasps. Horrible little buggers. I've had two nests in my loft which haven't really bothered me until i had the builders in this week. they're doing some work up there and want the nests gone because they're a bit scared.

had a pest control company round yesterday to spray the nests and they're now telling me itll take up to 5 days for them all to die. This sounds like rubbish to me. anyone got any top tips on DIY insect slaying without getting massively stung?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    WD40. Lighter.

Maybe a fire extinguisher

Diesel works well for the less brave and foolhardy
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Alphabet
    hmm... not sure that's such a good idea in the loft, but i'll give it a go :D
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    take off and nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
    Hat + Beard
  • let the professionals do their job. if the nest full decide to swarm you it can be fatal. they're not to be messed with!!!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    These aren't yellowjackets we're talking about, these are itty bitty normal wasps.

If the nest is accessible (ie one of the dangly paper jobbies) then wear work gloves, slip a plastic bag over the nest with one hand and use a paint scraper in the other to detatch the 'neck' from the joist.

Tie off bag full of shouty wasps.

Then decide who rates top of your revenge list, post bag through letterbox.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Alphabet
    one of them is pretty small but hard to get to in the eaves, the other one i'm a bit more wary or - it's about the size of a large bean bag :shock:
  • SimonAH
    ..............ah. In that case call the A-Team.

• Shouldn't most of the wasps be really rather dead and sleepy by now anyway? If they're not, turn your heating off for a week, then sweep them off the floor.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I think a shotgun maybe a bit extreme, would be great fun though!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    SimonAH wrote:
    These aren't yellowjackets we're talking about, these are itty bitty normal wasps.

If the nest is accessible (ie one of the dangly paper jobbies) then wear work gloves, slip a plastic bag over the nest with one hand and use a paint scraper in the other to detatch the 'neck' from the joist.

Tie off bag full of shouty wasps.

Then decide who rates top of your revenge list, post bag through letterbox.

Or post them to the Veolia complaints department (as per thread about dangerous bin lorries)
  • Kieran_Burns
    gtvlusso wrote:

Hell of a buzz though!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    I had a wasps nest in my shed, the word being HAD.

I decided to put my charcoal BBQ in the shed and after about 45 minutes didn't have a problem, before anyone asks no i did not burn the shed down!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:

Hell of a buzz though!

A 9mm pistol might be frustrating...
  • Alphabet
    Shouldn't most of the wasps be really rather dead and sleepy by now anyway? If they're not, turn your heating off for a week, then sweep them off the floor.

that's what i thought,l but apparently they can happily caryy on buzzing about until mid Nov. Turning off the heating isn't a problem - my heating system has been taken out. The builders need to get into the loft to whack a new boiler in. Chffing freezing in my house at the moment :(
  • SimonAH
    Wasps.jpg

• hatbeard
    have you tried asking them nicely if they'd mind leaving?

they may not even be aware that you want rid.

I say don't risk unnecessary escalation, just sit down with them and talk it through like adults and you may find you can come to an amicable solution.

or they may sting you in the eyeballs
    Hat + Beard
  • Alphabet
    think i'm just going to hit them with hammers. big flaming hammers
  • hatbeard
    Alphabet wrote:
    think i'm just going to hit them with hammers. big flaming hammers

oddly my suggestion to every single problem at my previous place of employment was to 'kill it with hammers and fire... fire'y hammers'

is that phrase in common parlance, I have no idea where I picked it up from...
    Hat + Beard
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Try playing Rick Astley to them continuously. Eventually they'll have to flee the mental torture or go insane.
  • kelsen wrote:
    Try playing Rick Astley to them continuously. Eventually they'll have to flee the mental torture or go insane.

a bunch of mad wasps all humming rick astely at you day and night... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • gtvlusso
    kelsen wrote:

I though wasps would go for W.A.S.P.....

wasp.jpg
  • +1 for the fire extinguisher, a big CO2 one and at close proximity will freeze the little blighters or suffocate them. Sounds a plan to me
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

I though wasps would go for W.A.S.P.....

wasp.jpg

Perhaps borrow some hairspray off these guys - guarenteed that the stuff they are using is f*cking toxic!
  • http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/NipponWaspNestDestroyerFoam300ml50072?category=chemicals_fertilisers

I've used this stuff with success before. You can be meters away too so you can hopefully just poke your head and shoulders through the loft hatch and hit the nest. Then you can evacuate quickly if it all goes wrong :D
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Kieran_Burns
    http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/NipponWaspNestDestroyerFoam300ml50072?category=chemicals_fertilisers

I've used this stuff with success before. You can be meters away too so you can hopefully just poke your head and shoulders through the loft hatch and hit the nest. Then you can evacuate quickly if it all goes wrong :D

I used this on a nest at my old house - the range on the spray is prety impressive and it DID kill all the wasps. (took a couple of days as the nest was hidden in the boardings above the garage)

The Queen came out eventually, flaming 'eck she was HUGE
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X