Restoration

squibnocket
squibnocket Posts: 207
edited October 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

I've been preparing my trusty Raleigh Sirocco for the winter today. I must have had this bike 15 years or more its done many many miles, it still has the original headset and some old Mavic MA2 wheels and never let me down. I'd like to treat it to a restoration next year, I know it's more a sentimental thing really, I don't wan't to get rid of the bike probably never will so can anybody recommend a bike restorer who could do the job.I'm in South Yorkshire.

Cheers

Comments

• It probably doesn't need much at all.

A good respray might be due and that's the only job a professional should do (Argos cycles is very well reputed, you can send the frame, but surely there are some in yorkshire).
    As for the rest, if you love your bike, learn to service it yourself, it's not difficult at all and you will probably do a better job than many mechanics, who work in a rush. I've had poorly fitted headsets, while when I do it, I take my time, normally one hour, but I get it right
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It depends on whether you want to return it to showroom condition or just and overhaul. The problem is that for models like yours, the cost of the restoration will never be reflected in the value. For a respray, budget for £150 upwards depending on no. colours, complexity, transfers etc. Suggest you browse the forums / small ads / ebay for suitable parts and DIY - you'll get far more out of it and it'll be cheaper that having someone do it for you.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • SteK
    SteK Posts: 148
    Take a trip up to Bob Jacksons, the shop's in Bramley, North West Leeds. I had a 531 Joe Waugh frame restored there.

I had them remove the bottom bracket and heatset cups, they blasted it, coated it in their most expensive colour (an italian pearl white), sourced and stuck on period decals (full original Joe Waugh plus Reynolds stickers), plus immaculate lug-lining (around some intricate lugs) and it all came to £120. I reckon you could easily have something less fancy done for the friendly side of £100. They turned it around 2 weeks quicker than quoted too.

I know it's still a lot of brass but if you really love the bike then it might be an investment. They really took their time with me too, even though I wasn't spending mega-bucks with them.
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    It depends on whether you want to return it to showroom condition or just and overhaul. The problem is that for models like yours, the cost of the restoration will never be reflected in the value. For a respray, budget for £150 upwards depending on no. colours, complexity, transfers etc. Suggest you browse the forums / small ads / ebay for suitable parts and DIY - you'll get far more out of it and it'll be cheaper that having someone do it for you.

Absolutely,

DIY is the way to go for restorations... it's fun and only you know what parts you want and how you want them. Most mechanics will just do a standard job with standard catalogue parts, not necessary period parts, which fit nicely with your bike.
    And as Monty says, you can save money.... I give you an example: I recently fitted myself a Campagnolo Record headset, which I bought at a bargain price on Ebay, new! Total cost 29.99. Had I gone to the LBS, first he would have struggled to get me the part I wanted (probably trying to flog me a Cane Creek or FSA part) and if he did, then he would have charged me retail price, which is about 75-80 pounds, plus add 10-20 pounds of work and you easily get to £ 100.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks guys,

I generally do my own maintenance but the cost of buying spraying gear would by the looks of it out weigh a trip to Bob Jackson. So come the spring a trip to Bob's will be planned in. I don't think £120.00 is out of the way to keep my trusty going.

Thanks
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    If you're in South Yorkshire what about JF Wilson in Sheff or Vernon Barker in Dronfield?
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    You could try Dave Marsh at Universal Cycles, Maltby. He's pretty good with the restoration thing & has a huge cache of period bike bits.