kilotogo tour of peaks.....

coxy84
coxy84 Posts: 45
anyone doing this on saturday ? gone for the 65 miler , what are the hills like cat
and fiddle and winnats pass ? hope its not too cold :shock:

Comments

• chris7
    chris7 Posts: 49
    Cat and Fiddle is pretty long (6+ miles) but nothing too serious gradient wise. I doubt the gradient reaches 10% at any point, mostly 5 or 6%.

Winnats Pass is the opposite. Only around a mile long but starts steep and gets steeper to around 20%

Weather forecast getting better as weekend approaches.
    ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    http://blog.chrisbarber.co.uk
  • coxy84
    winnats pass should finish my legs off then :D
  • 52Teeth
    52Teeth Posts: 67
    Hi, I have also opted for the 65 - thankfully. Weather is improving slowly but we might get damp at the start.
    My mate that I am doing the ride with drove over Winnats this week and said he was having to cane it in second gear in his car! Another bloke says that its the only hill he's ever pushed up!
    Looking forward to it but without wanting to sound like a girl I haven't a clue what to wear - probably take everything.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Don't forget to bring your climbing legs tomorrow boys and girls. This one's gonna sting.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Winnats is a great climb.... or it would be without the traffic. It'll be hell with a lot of struggling cyclists AND struggling motorists on a Saturday afternoon.
    More problems but still living....
  • stagger
    stagger Posts: 116
    amaferanga wrote:
    Winnats is a great climb.... or it would be without the traffic. It'll be hell with a lot of struggling cyclists AND struggling motorists on a Saturday afternoon.

indeed. the kilo to go description says how quiet it will be in october- not at half term perhaps, its rammed in the peak this week

watch out for the descent off tideswell moor to castleton (dirtlow rake). Its damp, very leafy and dark.... . also there is usually gravel on the bends as you start to drop off the moor but before the really steep bit.
  • lucca
    lucca Posts: 51
    Traffic on Winnetts will stop you weaving over the road then a cattle grid at the top will squeeze any last bits of juice out of the legs, harder IMOP than Mow Cop

Enjoy
  • Spot on about Winnats Pass being busy - it was carnage when I came up, there were at least two cars with clutches burning out. Even with good legs it is a difficult climb but when threading through oncoming traffic, walking riders and stuck cars, whilst other cars try to get past going up it becomes tough in the extreme.

I wonder about the sense in bringing a thousand riders up this climb on a Saturday in half term. I was expecting it to be busy but that wasn't good today and it doesn't do sportives and cyclists any favors with Joe Public.

Winnats is a beautiful climb but why put such a hard climb in at this stage of the season - surely the point of a good sportive is not to make half the field dismount and push?

Overall it was a good day, a scenic route, above rant not withstanding, lovely weather and well organised but I think it would be good to replace Winnats with Mam Tor, it would mean a route change but it brings you out at roughly the same place as Winnats, and it is an equally beautiful, wider and tough but manageable climb, which gives cyclists and cars a fighting chance of coexisting.

What thoughts those who did the ride today.
  • Tonymufc
    I climbed up everything they threw at us except Winnats. Ran out of juice about 100 metres after the photographer had captured the pain on my face. Walked for about 100 metres then got back on and completed it. And what was that last climb all about after the decent from long hill. Apart from that I can honestly say that, that was the hardest day I've ever spent on a bike. Completed the 65 miles in 5.57.33. What a great ride!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    green with envy - you had a great day for it
  • Tonymufc
    It didn't feel like a great day at the time.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    matthew h wrote:
    At least you saved yourself £35 and more for the longer route.
    tbh , a disgrace.
  • Tonymufc
    JGSI wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    At least you saved yourself £35 and more for the longer route.
    tbh , a disgrace.

Booked early in advance was £25 for the short, and £28 for the long. If you left it last minute.com then the price did go up for the last remaining places. It was a bit naughty I suppose.
  • coxy84
    that was tough!! did the 65 miles managed to get up everything which was chuffed about as it was first time up winnats and cat and fiddle, bike was literally stopping inbetween pedal strokes on winnats, think did about 4:55, are there any official times up or photos ?
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    well done people.
    i spoke to tonymufc after he had done it and he said it was a hard ride. :lol: tart.
    you need big boys legs tony. :wink:
  • copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    this event has now been moved to august 14th for 2011, guess it will be far busier on the roads then compared to what you guys had today!
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    Winnatts is a great ride; try around 7pm on a summer's evening. After 6pm in the Peak District everyone has gone home. Unfortunately you'll need to wait until May now for it to be light enough... I would agree with the comment about Mam Nick as an alternative - Winnatts is not a route to encourage good rider / car relations when there are a lot of cyclists. hope you had a good ride - I was on Holme Moss at around midday, but didn't see anyone coming through.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    In all honesty didn`t find Winnatts too bad---a 29 rear sprocket no doubt helped here :) ; as for the traffic yes it was very busy but did not seem too big an issue, surely lots of riders on a busy main road can cause similar traffic delays / problems?
    Graet route overall, Holme Moss was very tough but fortunately wasn`t so much into teh wind as I`d expected, although teh descent with cross / head winds was pretty scary at times. Clocked 10 700 ft climbing on Garmin; hardest climb IMHO was teh last one around teh reservoirs coming into Langsett, very sustained at bottom 25% and top 20% :o
  • MrZ
    MrZ Posts: 55
    Enjoyed it, opted for the 65 miler after setting off later than planned, testing route if not the most imaginative when you compare to the likes of the Polka Dott as lots of main roads, but there were some nice little quiet stretches thrown in for good measure.

Had a nice end of season feel about it with lots of chatting and people taking it a bit easier i thought - the weather also helped!

Results here:

http://www.racetimingsystems.com/public/results.aspx
  • Tonymufc
    Does anybody know what the percentage of the gradients were of some of the other climbs. (Excluding Winnats and the Cat).
  • JamesB
    yes; my Garmin was showing 10-12 % on Holme Moss, a bit at 16% too; 18% on top of last climb to Langsett out of river valley (about 25% at base); several draggy 8% bits; climbs between Glossop and Chapel were 8- 10% as well. For full details of Holme Moss see climbybike website.
  • Tonymufc
    JamesBwmb wrote:
    yes; my Garmin was showing 10-12 % on Holme Moss, a bit at 16% too; 18% on top of last climb to Langsett out of river valley (about 25% at base); several draggy 8% bits; climbs between Glossop and Chapel were 8- 10% as well. For full details of Holme Moss see climbybike website.

Errr..... cheers for that but I was after the climbs on the errr.... short route. :(
  • In a moment of sumpreme optimism I signed up for the 97 mile option.I had never cycled more than 75 miles in a day and had never been anywhere as hilly as the peak district on a bike.During the last 15 miles I was spent,swearing to myself that I would never get involved in anything like this again.
    As I rested at the side of the road a kindly fellow cyclist stopped and gave me an energy bar and a drink( if you're reading this -thanks again).That was enough to get me to the finish.As I got back to my car my odometer showed 99.46 miles and I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to ride around the block to break the 100 mark.
    Since then,lots of rest,food and praise from my wife and daughter.Now I am plotting my next event to bag 100 miles.
  • Errr..... cheers for that but I was after the climbs on the errr.... short route. :([/quote]

Yes, this website covers the main climbs -
    Cat and Fiddle http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?qryMountainID=7356
    and Winnatts Pass http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp? ... ainID=9057
  • JamesB
    1122sarahk wrote:
    Errr..... cheers for that but I was after the climbs on the errr.... short route. :(

Yes, this website covers the main climbs -
    Cat and Fiddle http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?qryMountainID=7356
    and Winnatts Pass http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp? ... ainID=9057[/quote]

I think Tony wants the `other` climbs though.......... :) should have done the long route!!!
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    The last hill after the Long Hill descent out of Buxton is approx 2 miles at an average of 6 ish % and a max of 20% for a short distance.
    That was pretty challenging considering it was about seven feet wide, muddy and had cars trying to get down it...
    There were more walkers on there than Winnats!
  • Tonymufc
    pickled wrote:
    The last hill after the Long Hill descent out of Buxton is approx 2 miles at an average of 6 ish % and a max of 20% for a short distance.
    That was pretty challenging considering it was about seven feet wide, muddy and had cars trying to get down it...
    There were more walkers on there than Winnats!

Tell me about it. I asked the organisers what was that last climb all about. He just shrugged his shoulders and asked me if I enjoyed the ride. I responded with "absolutely".
  • coxy84
    anyone know whether the guys taking photos on winnats and cat and fiddle were doing
    so for the ride and if so can we get hold of photos ?
  • coxy84
    cheers nice one some good photos there