Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

What is your dream road bike?

stigmastigma Posts: 51
edited October 2010 in Workshop
Disregarding the price-tag, what is your dream bike?
which road bike would you really, really like to own?

For me it would be either a 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong edition
which I think looks absolutely fantastic, with the aelus wheelset in black and yellow
The price tag, however of about GBP7000 is far beyond my wallet.

My other dream road bike would be a 2011 Look 695 in all-red frame.
I'm not sure if I like the look of the stem, but the integrated crankset, and the fact
that I do own a (pre-owned) Look 595 (which I got for half the price), makes this
the perfect package for me. The price tag I guess will be at about GBP6000 for a complete bike - which of course is a bit on the expensive side....
«1

Posts

  • Pinarello Dogma, sexy.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    A Colnago C50 with Campagnolo group and Campagnolo Bora Ultra two wheels.
  • Any old tandem with Kylie on the front.
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • mrushtonmrushton Posts: 5,182
    stigma wrote:
    Disregarding the price-tag, what is your dream bike?
    which road bike would you really, really like to own?

    For me it would be either a 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong edition
    which I think looks absolutely fantastic, with the aelus wheelset in black and yellow
    The price tag, however of about GBP7000 is far beyond my wallet.

    http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/sale.html

    If you are a size 56cm the above link takes you to your dream bike fitted with Di2 for £5.5k
    M.Rushton
  • mrushtonmrushton Posts: 5,182
    A C59 with Lightweight clinchers or a Serotta specced to the max
    M.Rushton
  • thel33terthel33ter Posts: 2,684
    This, cause its absolutely mad, yet extremely cool. But with Sram Red and a Lightweight wheelset.

    c-thru13.jpg

    c-thru09.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Harry182Harry182 Posts: 739
    Custom Parlee Z1 or Cervelo Project California

    Edge finishing kit + wheels or Pro finishing kit + Dura Ace wheels

    Dura Ace Di2 or Sram Red

    Decisions, decisions... Luckily not ones I'll be needing to make any time soon
  • brinbrin Posts: 1,122
    If money was no object, or my fitness levels :wink: the Ridley Noah 1101a would be in the running, alongside the (NEW) Look 695.......or both :D
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    I bought mine (Cervelo S3). Only thing I would buy if I had unlimited funds - would be lots more Zipp wheels in all different sizes!

    But I'd also really fancy a Specialized Shiv TT bike. But a UCI legal one - not the off the shelf models they sell!
  • I would definatly have a custom made Ti frame. Actually I'd have two, one with full Super Record, Ti seatpost, Bora's, Fizik kit, Chris King for the lovely warm summer months...

    The other would have Centaur groupset, with full mudguards, space for panniers, an EBB so I could run it singlespeed, and would be a commuter/touring/winter bike set up.

    I don't think I could ever have just one bike and be happy :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • ADIHEADADIHEAD Posts: 575
    You can keep your mass market stuff. Only 'ultimate' bike for me would be and Orbea Orca in gold. I'd love to say with Super Record, but I'd have to try it first to be sure I'd prefer it to the 'Fishing Reel' stuff I currently run first :lol:
  • ADIHEADADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Actually forget the Fishermans Friend, I'd have this exact bike, no arguments :D

    http://www.orbea-usa.com/au-us/bicis/mo ... ca_grc_ct/

    Oh, and an Enigma custom for intermediate weather 8)
  • brinbrin Posts: 1,122
    ADIHEAD wrote:
    Actually forget the Fishermans Friend, I'd have this exact bike, no arguments :D

    http://www.orbea-usa.com/au-us/bicis/mo ... ca_grc_ct/

    Oh, and an Enigma custom for intermediate weather 8)

    very nice, that makes 3 i need to order tomorrow after tonight's euro million draw :D
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    ADIHEAD wrote:
    You can keep your mass market stuff. Only 'ultimate' bike for me would be and Orbea Orca in gold. I'd love to say with Super Record, but I'd have to try it first to be sure I'd prefer it to the 'Fishing Reel' stuff I currently run first :lol:



    Erm - Orbea IS mass market stuff.
  • ADIHEADADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Yeh who needs 'YouPorn' when you've got pictures like that hey :P
  • ynyswen24ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Pegoretti Luigino, it could have Sora on it for all I care but I'd still want it (though I'd hesitate about the Jacko Pastorius tribute paintjob...). Or I'm going to have to find someone to teach me to braze and build it myself.
  • Custom Glider Wingtip, or almost any custom Serotta (MeiVici SE would be 1st choice) with full Super Record grouppo, lightweight Obermayer's, and lots of parts from posh bikes!

    God, im turned on just thinking about that!
  • pliptrotpliptrot Posts: 582
    Something that does not involve me subsidising someone else's lavish lifestyle - i.e. something for which the makers and sellers are asking a sensible price involving a reasonable profit margin. Which is to say none of those so far mentioned.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    ^^^ Ohhhh dear
  • ADIHEADADIHEAD Posts: 575
    pliptrot wrote:
    Something that does not involve me subsidising someone else's lavish lifestyle - i.e. something for which the makers and sellers are asking a sensible price involving a reasonable profit margin. Which is to say none of those so far mentioned.

    The lower the volume, in relation to design and production time then the more you must charge. Design flair and great engineering deserves profit. Simple economics.....
  • ScrumpleScrumple Posts: 3,137
    in relation to the above, low volume and high price does not always mean flair or great engineering.

    You can quite often end up with something inferior to mass produced and cheap.
  • ADIHEADADIHEAD Posts: 575
    That's for the buyer to discern. It's why we respect someone who's chosen the right product.
  • pliptrotpliptrot Posts: 582
    I have realised that I am curmudgeonly before my time (something about which I'm very proud) but I have not bought a new bike for years and I want one. For once I have a little money, so I'm adding my soon to be purchased spec. to the list:

    Giant TCR Advanced SL
    Super Record (tout Super Record) & Boras
    Corsa CX tubs (or whatever they do now - it's been a long time since I used tubs)

    An engagement ring should set you back a month's salary. This'll take that, plus the wedding, plus the divorce, plus quite a bit of alimony.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    The Corsa tubs are still going (I use them), they are now up to 320TPI though...
  • pliptrotpliptrot Posts: 582
    Adihead,

    All productive activity deserves profit. The question is how much profit is fair. Seven thousand quid for a low technology vehicle is exorbitant, and a reflection of how gullible cyclists are. I'm no different; my ego is too fragile to have anything other than the priciest stuff from each of the chosen suppliers of my new bike, and I'm pretty sure the Cadillac effect (if-it-costs-more-it-must-be-better) is the entire pricing philosophy in Vicenza, Wisconsin, Tokyo et. al.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    pliptrot wrote:
    Adihead,

    All productive activity deserves profit. The question is how much profit is fair. Seven thousand quid for a low technology vehicle is exorbitant, and a reflection of how gullible cyclists are. I'm no different; my ego is too fragile to have anything other than the priciest stuff from each of the chosen suppliers of my new bike, and I'm pretty sure the Cadillac effect (if-it-costs-more-it-must-be-better) is the entire pricing philosophy in Vicenza, Wisconsin, Tokyo et. al.

    Cadillac are worth it, they are the Rolls Royce of cars.
  • pliptrotpliptrot Posts: 582
    :lol:
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Pegoretti Responsorium or somethng from Sacha White / Vanilla - the long waiting list will give me enought time to save up / specify the rest. Big 5-0 in a few years gives me plenty of time to think..
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mr DogMr Dog Posts: 643
    Look 695 mondrian.. every Lottery day I dream of her. 8)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • ADIHEADADIHEAD Posts: 575
    pliptrot wrote:
    Adihead,

    All productive activity deserves profit. The question is how much profit is fair. Seven thousand quid for a low technology vehicle is exorbitant, and a reflection of how gullible cyclists are. I'm no different; my ego is too fragile to have anything other than the priciest stuff from each of the chosen suppliers of my new bike, and I'm pretty sure the Cadillac effect (if-it-costs-more-it-must-be-better) is the entire pricing philosophy in Vicenza, Wisconsin, Tokyo et. al.

    Again that's for us to discern. For example, I use Ultegra, rather than Durace as I think the price difference proves your point exactly. I was refering more to Frame design. I think bikes such as the Orbea Orca, Enigmas, Storks etc hold a kudos that it's hard to put a price on. Again, I don't own these products but I desire them because of what they are. I believe those who've of an income to afford these machines without life compromises still get value for money - even if it's not necessarily in material form. And I'd still have Durace or Super Record if I could justifiy it financially - even though I don't need it!
Sign In or Register to comment.