Time for an Drop Bar Alfine bike

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
I NEED a new bike.

On One Pompetamine or Genesis Day One?

Does anybody here ride one, does anyone have any views on which is better?

Anyone near East London / Essex that could let me have a look at one in the flesh?

Ta!

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I must have this.

slutter.jpg
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    @SimonAH - no you mustn't, never buy a bike where so much effort has been put into making it appeal to non-cyclists. It'll be utter pants.

And IMHO, it looks totally cr&p, although the idea is good. And it's a nice colour.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    Oh! Want! That's a short wheelbase right there.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    On-One Pompetamine Versa
    CBOOPOMPETVERSA_P1.jpg
    Versa don't seem to have an 11-speed brifter yet.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    SimonAH wrote:
    I must have this.

slutter.jpg

And it's a belt drive. What is it?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I NEED a new bike.

On One Pompetamine or Genesis Day One?

Does anybody here ride one, does anyone have any views on which is better?

Anyone near East London / Essex that could let me have a look at one in the flesh?

Ta!

I have the non-alfine Genesis Day One, it's my messing about bike. I got it for the nobbly tyres in the snow and tend to use it with regular shoes as a pop to the shops, knockabout bike. If I was to change it to road tyres, I think it'd be an ace bike for non-snowy commutes too.

Every time I ride it, I'm reminded of the fun I had on my BMX as a kid. I even do bunny-hops off speed bumps and curbs just for a laugh. Never once have I ridden it without a huge grin on my face. It's an absolute blast.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Also have the old version of the day-one, which I've subsequently converted to alfine after seeing them do it on the new version. Still using rubbish canti brakes though as I don't have the mounts for disk brakes.
    Quite an easy job - though not especially cheap as the shifters and hub wheel will set you back about £400.
    It's very smooth and low maintenance, but on the negative side it now weighs a ton.

I'll take a photo later and post if I remember...
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    If it's as good as my new Pompino, the Pompetamine has to be worth a look.
    The ability to modify the build to suit your own requirements is great, the frames seem very well made, have eyelets for rack & mudguards too.

Have a look at some of the Pompetamine builds on the On-one site, this one has belt drive fitted as an aftermarket job:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/readers-rides/your-ride/q/2638101410_hniemela_smoothie
    Misguided Idealist
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Hi

I commute on an Alfine Pompetamine Comp (so the flat bar versions with hydraulic brakes), and really enjoy it. I bought it a month or two before the Versa was realeased and I probably would have gone for the Versa had it been available. I may look to change the bars to drops at some stage (brakes and levers too of course) but as this would be a couple hundred squids I'm in no rush. I can't compare as have not ridden the Genisis but I'm very happy with my On-One, setup for daily commuting.

Its a bit on the heavy side but then steel always is and the Alfine is not known as a weight weeny option. The great thing about both a good steel frame and Alfine is that you should get many many years out of them, which was the reason i went for it. Oh, and it looks great! 8)

If you are a heavier rider (like me at 90kgs) you may find the wheels flex a bit when standing up (at least enough to hear rotor touch the pad slightly) - its not a large amount of flex but it may annoy you if you like to get out of the saddle and/ or have some long climbs you like to stand up on for a decent length of time, I'm normally never out the saddle for a few seconds at a time during a commute so not a problem for me.

Hope this helps mate! :D:D:D
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Asprilla wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    I must have this.

slutter.jpg

And it's a belt drive. What is it?

It's a Slutter made by Spanish firm Jeronimo. Built to measure, Titanium, belt drive, hub gears, disc brakes, love it or hate it styling mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Even the name gives me a semi.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • BenS999 wrote:
    Hi

I commute on an Alfine Pompetamine Comp (so the flat bar versions with hydraulic brakes), and really enjoy it. I bought it a month or two before the Versa was realeased and I probably would have gone for the Versa had it been available. I may look to change the bars to drops at some stage (brakes and levers too of course) but as this would be a couple hundred squids I'm in no rush. I can't compare as have not ridden the Genisis but I'm very happy with my On-One, setup for daily commuting.

Its a bit on the heavy side but then steel always is and the Alfine is not known as a weight weeny option. The great thing about both a good steel frame and Alfine is that you should get many many years out of them, which was the reason i went for it. Oh, and it looks great! 8)

If you are a heavier rider (like me at 90kgs) you may find the wheels flex a bit when standing up (at least enough to hear rotor touch the pad slightly) - its not a large amount of flex but it may annoy you if you like to get out of the saddle and/ or have some long climbs you like to stand up on for a decent length of time, I'm normally never out the saddle for a few seconds at a time during a commute so not a problem for me.

Hope this helps mate! :D:D:D

Yes it does, thank you. The website specs the Pomp with Open Pros which is what I ride now and and happy with these wheels. On One reckon 2 weeks delivery...as they are waiting on wheels.

I've just phoned my local Evans and they have a Genesis in stock, it's not my size but they say I can try it to see what the hub is like. I've seen a website advertising these for 899 instead of 999 so if I did go for it I would try the Evans price match.

Just need to decide Pomp or Day One...will keep Googling for info., and welcome any more comments on here.

Thanks everyone.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'd rather have disc brakes than canti's (not wearing rims out, jus change pads and discs, canti's are a bit of a faff to set up and look ugly)

therefore I vote pompino
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • edhornby wrote:
    I'd rather have disc brakes than canti's (not wearing rims out, jus change pads and discs, canti's are a bit of a faff to set up and look ugly)

therefore I vote pompino

Genesis comes with discs.
  • edhornby wrote:

therefore I vote pompino

Genesis comes with discs.

And the latest non-alfine ones have Mini-V's which seem perfectly fine.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I have the genesis day one Alfine.

A few things to take note off.
    The have matched rotors and callipers. The callipers are lyra and the discs are shimano, i think this causes an issue as the brake pads overlap onto the rotor arms a lot and there is a shuddering feeling when you brake. I'm talking to Genesis about this atm.

Getting the rear wheel off is a B****!
    If you have a mudguard then you need to remove the rear stays on that. Then disconnect the gear change cable from the hub, this requires a pair of pliers or similar. Because it has a disc brake, it uses chian tugs, so to get the chain off you have to lossen the chain tugs, but these are a real biatch to get back in the right place. So i prefer to take the chain off by using the quick link, as you already have piliers this isn't an issue. Then you need a spanner to take the nuts off the axel and then you can remove it.

The hub gear is great, really smooth and a joy to use, but the gear spacing is something that takes getting used to, you are looking at jumps of 10inches between the faster gears. This means you can be coasting along nicely at 18mph, you want to go a bit faster so you change up, but the difference is so big that you will need to get out of the saddle to get back to a comfortable caddence.

Due to the way droop bar brake levers work, the arms on the brakes them selfs have to be smaller than on MTB's/bikes with mtb style brakes. this means that stopping power isn't as great, but still very good, and in the wet it's so much better than any style of rim breaking!
  • gaz545 wrote:

The have matched rotors and callipers. The callipers are lyra and the discs are shimano, i think this causes an issue as the brake pads overlap onto the rotor arms a lot and there is a shuddering feeling when you brake. I'm talking to Genesis about this atm.

Getting the rear wheel off is a B****!
    If you have a mudguard then you need to remove the rear stays on that. Then disconnect the gear change cable from the hub, this requires a pair of pliers or similar. Because it has a disc brake, it uses chian tugs, so to get the chain off you have to lossen the chain tugs, but these are a real biatch to get back in the right place. So i prefer to take the chain off by using the quick link, as you already have piliers this isn't an issue. Then you need a spanner to take the nuts off the axel and then you can remove it.

The hub gear is great, really smooth and a joy to use, but the gear spacing is something that takes getting used to, you are looking at jumps of 10inches between the faster gears. This means you can be coasting along nicely at 18mph, you want to go a bit faster so you change up, but the difference is so big that you will need to get out of the saddle to get back to a comfortable caddence.

Due to the way droop bar brake levers work, the arms on the brakes them selfs have to be smaller than on MTB's/bikes with mtb style brakes. this means that stopping power isn't as great, but still very good, and in the wet it's so much better than any style of rim breaking!

Now that is really interesting. I was swaying towards the Genesis but not sure now!

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

Are Genesis helpful with the brake issue or do you think you will be fobbed off?
    Do you have full guards - any issues fitting them around the callpiers?
    Do you know if the On One would have the same difficultly in removing the rear wheel?

Cheers Gaz.
  • Do you know if the On One would have the same difficultly in removing the rear wheel?

Cheers Gaz.

Track/horizontal dropouts + full mudguards = pain.
  • Fireblade96
    Do you know if the On One would have the same difficultly in removing the rear wheel?

Cheers Gaz.

Track/horizontal dropouts + full mudguards = pain.

Sadly true. However, easily rectified; I just ordered a second set of secu-clips for my SKS guards and use these on the rear, so if I need to remove the wheel I can disconnect the rear stays without tools.

Still need a feckin' big spanner though.

That's why I run Marathons on the Pompino !
    Misguided Idealist
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    gaz545 wrote:

My Cotic Roadrat came with the lyra callipers and rotors. The shuddering on the front was real bad - I thought the fork was going to be ripped off!

I ended up replacing it with an Avid BB7 in the end which solved the shuddering problem and is a far better brake all round. It baffles me why Cotic went for the Tektro, it's not all that good, and the price difference between the Lyra and the BB7 isn't that big.
  • Sideways Cycles' Cotic 'Alfrat'? http://www.sidewayscycles.co.uk/product ... 58&clid=23

I had Tektro Lyra discs on my old hybrid and they were a massive pain in the arse. I changed one of them for an Avid and it was way better
  • gaz545
    Now that is really interesting. I was swaying towards the Genesis but not sure now!

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

Are Genesis helpful with the brake issue or do you think you will be fobbed off?
    Do you have full guards - any issues fitting them around the callpiers?

Cheers Gaz.
    They are being helpful, and testing when i explain how i got the issue. but as of yet we haven't gotten any where.
    I do have full guards, there are issues fitting around the callipers due to their position, compare that to the on-one and the rear one is defiantly easier to fit.
    I haven't seen the on-one, i can't see from the images if it uses chain tugs, but there will always been an issue with, mud guards, releasing tension on the chain and making sure you put the wheel back in the same place at the same angle for the disc brake
  • Am I being stupid here? Could you not just leave a little slack on the chain so you could help it off the front chain ring and pull the wheel out then?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Am I being stupid here? Could you not just leave a little slack on the chain so you could help it off the front chain ring and pull the wheel out then?

No, that would not work. If the chain was that slack it would keep falling off

On my Alfine Roadrat I have used secuclip - style safety mudguard attachments at the back
    So the rear stays can easily unplugged and the mudguard moved out of the way when the back wheel is removed
  • vorsprung
    Here is a blog entry on the Alfine / Drops Roadrat I've been riding since last winter

It's on the audaxing blog because I am using it for an event at the weekend. It's really a commute bike though
  • Fireblade96
    Gratuitous secu-clip piccy:
    5125201095_f5098721dc.jpg
    Not as tidy as bolting the stays directly to the frame eyelet, but should make for easier rear wheel removal.
    Misguided Idealist
  • gaz545
    vorsprung wrote:
    Here is a blog entry on the Alfine / Drops Roadrat I've been riding since last winter

It's on the audaxing blog because I am using it for an event at the weekend. It's really a commute bike though
    You find those drops comfortable?
  • vorsprung
    gaz545 wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

You find those drops comfortable?

Yeah they are fine.

Like I say, the sizing of the Roadrat (and a lot of road bikes TBH) doesn't really suit me. I'd like a taller but shorter bike. A lot of people when faced with this problem go for the too long top tube but I prefer the too long seat tube.

The drops seem really low but my commute is short and I guess being lower they are more aerodynamic. I don't find them uncomfortable and the handling of the bike is fine