How to ID my Shimano wheels?

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
edited October 2010 in Workshop
I want to ID the wheels on my CX bike but am a little confused....

The bike is this

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec000077

and I bought it used. The spec says WH R550 wheels but the only writing on the wheels is actually on the black hubs and clearly says RS10. So, could it be that it was simply supplied with RS10's instead or could RS10 be the hub only and the wheel is in fact the R550? The images I found on Google look almost identical for the 2 wheels.

From what I understand the RS10 would be the better wheelset wouldnt it? I'm just not familiar with Shimano wheels and the various websites selling them arent clear how the model range is structured.

Thanks
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I had a similar issue when I bought my Bianchi early last year. It was supposed to come with Mavic Aksiums but arrived with Shimano WH-R550s instead.

Having checked my wheels, I can confirm that my 550s have 'WH-R550' on the hub AND on the section of the wheel below the braking surface. It is quite clearly emblazoned after the name SHIMANO, so if yours says anything different, I'd assume you have RS10s, which I think, are essentially the latest version of the same wheel, both being effectively '105' spec wheels.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    thanks - its a 105 gruppo so that makes sense. They get good reviews so I'm happy if thats the case.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    RS10 has straight pull spokes which cross on on the rear driveside

550s have radial spokes on the rear driveside

RS10s are newer. 550s are a few years old I think
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    WH-R550's have the nipples at the hub, RS10's have them at the rim
    - that should be easy enough to spot ! :lol: