Etape/Marmotte alternative?

mrushton
mrushton Posts: 5,182
Someone I know in France did this in August. Seems a few serious riders indulge as part of their training. My friend rode with David Moncoutie of Cofidis a couple of times. Less riders,no timing it would seem

www.alpesopentour.com
M.Rushton

Comments

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Look good that one. 5 days as a great time frame to take in some good climbs. Who moves your stuff for you?

August tho is HOT and the whole fricken country is on holiday meaning roads are busy meaning when you're leaned over in a hairpin at 50 kph there's no telling what Winnebego is coming around the corner...

If it's not stupid money I'd be up for this. The Cormet de Roseland is a real beeeatch. I've not done the Galibier since the 98 etape so would love to tackle that again.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • mrushton
    http://www.cyclomundo.com/alpes_open_tour.htm

This firm ran it for 875 Euros pp and that incl.transfers. Pretty good when you think what the Etape costs for 1 x days riding
    M.Rushton
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    That looks really nice. Ask your mate please:

- how busy the roads were?
    - did they start riding at some silly, unsociable hour like 8 or 9 am or 10-10:30 am?
    - how big were the groups?
    - what the hotels were like?
    - any other stuff that made it special.

Tall order but I know these groups can sometimes promise a lot and fail to deliver.

Other issue is the way I'd want to climb Galibier is from the North-East in the typical Telegraph/Galibier two-step, whereas this route is backwards...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Looks like a cracking event. I'm interested in the standard of the riders taking part. Are they all elite or are there enough mid level sportive type riders like me riding it so I'd have someone else to ride with?
  • mrushton
    It's classed as Open so anyone can ride. From the link it sounds sensible.There isn't a time given per stafe but they do have timing for the climbs. I think you go at your pace. So you ride with a variety of abilities
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton
    That looks really nice. Ask your mate please:

- how busy the roads were?
    - did they start riding at some silly, unsociable hour like 8 or 9 am or 10-10:30 am?
    - how big were the groups?
    - what the hotels were like?
    - any other stuff that made it special.

Tall order but I know these groups can sometimes promise a lot and fail to deliver.

Other issue is the way I'd want to climb Galibier is from the North-East in the typical Telegraph/Galibier two-step, whereas this route is backwards...

The roads were just the roads out there. Some of them are always busy-ish but drivers are more patient. He thinks about 2000 people may be on it - but it's not widely publicised and not everyone can spare the week hence the lower numers but that would suit me. My friend is a fast rider so he could stay nearer to the front. He lives out there so sorted his accom .out. The Cyclomundo price sems quite reasonable but there are other prices on the event site. Have to say when you see the Etape madness, then the Open Tour looks good vfm
    M.Rushton