cleat positioning/fitting?

dodsi
dodsi Posts: 22
edited October 2010 in Workshop
can someone direct me to clear instructions on guide to fit cleats correctly?

or is it trial and error?

Comments

• dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    What do you mean by correct? and what type?

For my SPD-SLs I just fitted the three screws roughly in the middle and made sure the cleat was straight. Then after each ride I moved them a fraction back/forward depending on whether I'd felt the pressure back or forward of the ball of my foot.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Proper cleat placement is important, even though the new floating-cleat designs have made it far less critical. There are basically two things to set up- approximate cleat angle and fore/aft positioning.

For the angle, we generally set up the cleats so that, when the shoe is moved inwards, your ankle won't quite hit the crank. With this position, all the pedal systems we offer allow a significant outward angle from neutral (in line with the bike), meaning that your foot can go just about anyplace it wants to. The only reason for changing the cleat position so it allows less outward movement is for those who have difficulty moving their heels out far enough to exit the pedals.

For fore/aft, we start by positioning the cleat so the ball of your foot is centered over the pedal. This position generally results in high energy transfer from foot-to-pedal without undue stress on the knee. However, for those who've experienced knee problems, the first thing that should be tried is to move the cleat towards the back of the shoe, dramatically reducing the amount of leverage that the pedal can exert against your foot and knee.

Info borrowed but I find it OK (thanks to US chainreaction site)
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Depends on what cleats the OP is on about.

Without being pedantic, fitting cleats and positioning cleats are different meanings to me.

Fitting SPD cleats can be put on incorrectly upside down. SPD-SL is a triangle type that can only be fitted in 1 direction.

Once you have fitted the cleats, the next task to carefully position them as most have a small amount of fore, aft and side settings.

Once that's done, tighten said cleat bolts and ride like the wind.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4