Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

MTB Brake pads

ollie_lucas1985ollie_lucas1985 Posts: 325
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

Recently got my bike serviced say about 2 months agao now, and been on around 4 rides (20ish miles each) along with commuting to work 2 days a week - During the offroad kind of affair im always on the brakes on the downhills (which i know is bad but im trying to sort it)

When I went out to my bike today the breaks feel really spongey and unreponsive (ive had this before and its the same feeling prior to getting the pads changed, I have disc brakes btw)

Could the unresponsivness be anything else? I've tried the cabletie the brakes overnight etc and that did not work!!

From looking at the pads they dont look particually worn, still about 3mm or so left on them!!

How long does it take for you guys to go through some pads?

• bennett_346bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Might have accidentaly sprayed something on the rotor? Basically any lube or oil that gets on to the rotor will have contaminated both it and the pads. Try some contact cleaner, and new pads.
  • They seem to stop ok when the pressure is applied, but it feels like the brake lever is being pressed right against the bars to achieve this.. I have checked the rotor and its dry and clean!!..
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    adjust the lever reach.

and make sure the rotor is not being moved by the pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diydiy Posts: 6,473
    In censored weather off-road deep mud puddles etc,,, a set of pads will last me maybe 200 miles tops
  • evernasevernas Posts: 43
    Hi.I had same one 2 months ago.Just cleaned disks and.....voala but use isopropyle alcohol or something similar.
    Note; The Term "Mountain Bike" Is Incorrectly Used By Marketing People To Sell More Bikes To The General Public.