Which of these?

jame58rown
jame58rown Posts: 263
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Ok, I posted on another thread asking for reccomendations on sub £600 bikes.
I've managed to narrow it down to these 4:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... LT-F85.htm

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec025025

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec022172

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2010-Fuji-Roubaix ... 3f02a2bb3a

Which one would you buy?

I know the felt and roubaix 2.0 have the best spec, but the felt is the least attractive (imo of course) and the roubaix is slightly over budget.

In other words, I know the obvious one is the felt, but if it doesn't look as good as the specialized should I get it, is it worth the compromise?

Choosing a new bike is sooo hard :P

Thanks.

Comments

• How about a Cube Peloton for £600?:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44407

I'd go for that or the Felt personally but if you don't like the looks of either I think you should pay the extra for the Fuji 2.0
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Felt for me, but TBH, any of them would do.
  • Now that Cube's another one to think about. :P

The Felt doesn't look bad, just not as nice as the specialized or roubaix imo. but it does have the same spec as the 2.0 for £85 less.
  • bump
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    I'd go for the Cube! Should pick up my Cube X-Race Comp 11 next week and cannot wait to get out on it!
    exercise.png
  • If you're going for the Felt or the Cube you'd better hurry up before they sell out!
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • morxy
    morxy Posts: 114
    If it was me? Things like chains and cassettes are consumables. You'll replace them often throughout your bike's lifespan. Saddle too is something personal. I wouldn't ride on whatever saddle a bike is sold with. So I somewhat disregard those things. Most important things are STI (shifter) levers, wheels and frame (not just the quality but the geometry). They're expensive to replace and influence the ride most.

But the truth is, I've become so fussy about frame geometry and components that I end up tweaking and replacing every component anyway :( E.g. the bars won't be the right width, their reach/drop won't be right. Maybe the stem and crank arms are too long. Who knows? So I tend to prioritize the frame and change/personalize all the components after buying.

The Cube looks very nice but, if it's to be my only bike, white isn't my ideal colour. Oh, and it has a triple chainset :( You can get a compact chainset (50 and 34 teeth chainrings) paired with cassettes boasting a 27 or 28 tooth largest sprocket, providing very easy, varied gearing, so I regard triple chainsets as heavier and largely unnecessary these days.

Basically I'd buy the Fuji Roubaix 2.0. Beautiful bike. The frame's geometry is a good fit for my body and riding position. If you're new to road bikes, you won't know your ideal frame geometry yet. You have to dive in, take a guess and get the frame you think is the closest match. You'll be fine. You can tweak saddle position, bar height and reach afterwards. (Obsession over bike fit or frame geometry normally happens in your 2nd or 3rd year of riding.)

Alternatively I'd buy the Specialized Allez 16 in black and make it my objective to gradually upgrade it to 18 speed over the course of a year (Sora 3400 shifters, Tiagra 4500 chainset and 4500 Hollowtech II bottom bracket, 9 speed chain and cassette). The Cube is also a good buy but I'd want a Tiagra 4500 compact or double chainset on it ASAP and put the triple on Ebay.

Dammit the Felt's spec is plenty decent too. But personally I prefer the look of the Roubaix 2.0, Allez 16 and Cube Peloton. Ultimately, looks are important. All bikes can be tweaked for weight and riding position afterwards (e.g. stem angles, seatpost offsets). So I'd say get the bike that, to you, looks nicest. It's the one you look at and think "yeah" :) That is your bike.
  • Thanks for the great reply :D

I do think the 2.0 looks very sexy; as does the specialized allez 16 (in black) but the components on it aren't even sora :( It just seems like it's not very good value for money. The roubaix is only 100 £ more and has tiagra. I've also seen some full carbon beautys on ebay that are in my price range because there '08 models.

Does anyone have an opinion of the CAAD 8 frame? Because the 2011 model with sora components in magnesium white and charcol grey is just....... 8)

It's £699, so 100 over budget, but it's got the same frame as the much more expensive versions hasn't it? Not too keen on the red, but like I said, the white looks beast :) :

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Pr ... AD8-7-Sora

Why is there so much choice! I can't decide....... :(

I'm worried I'll buy something, and then see something ten times better for a similar price with better components :roll:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Does anyone have an opinion of the CAAD 8 frame?

Wonderful, far better made than anything else in this price range. Have a look at the welds on the other frames then Cannondale, different league. The finish on the Cannondale is superb. It's a frame that's well worth keeping for years and upgrading when funds permit. Any my first upgrade would be a nice lightweight wheelset (on any of these bikes).

The Mavic loaner / emergency bikes on this years Tour de France were CAAD9s, not carbon fibre.

Sora is a decent groupset, I used it today on my tourer for the first time in ages and I'd forgotten how well it works. It's not as nice as the 105 on my Cannondale, but it's reliable and does the job.

BTW, I got my Cannondale for 400 quid second hand. It'd only done about 100 miles then got hung in someones garage unused for a few years. There are loads of second hand bargains on ebay and gumtree if you have your wits about you.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Someone I know is selling a Connondale CAAD 9 for £600 is this a good deal? it's 2010 and has 105 groupset.
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    I don't own a CAAD 9. But in the couple of years I've been on here I've never heard so many people get so enthusiastic about any other bike. Every time someone starts a what bike should I buy for £1000 thread it seems to eventually boil down to a CAAD 9 (or possibly a boardman but who wants to shop at Halfords?).

Take you mates bike for a spin and see what you think. Then be cheeky and offer him £550 for the hell of it.
  • I was thinking of offering £550 :lol:
    If he refuses I haven't lost anything and I'd be happy with £600 anyway :P

Cheers.
  • morxy
    If your friend's CAAD9 is your size then definitely buy it for £600, now! Its RRP was £1299!

My friend has a 2010 CAAD9 and always, always remarks how it's one of the best things he ever bought. Cannondale's CAAD frames are reckoned to be some of the finest alu frames ever produced. People say they're better than entry level carbon in terms of weight, stiffness and ride quality.
    I do think the 2.0 looks very sexy; as does the specialized allez 16 (in black) but the components on it aren't even sora :( It just seems like it's not very good value for money

Know what you mean. I picked the Allez 16 as my 2nd favourite in your lineup because I was eying the frame! Forget the components stuck to it. They'd be off/spares if I got my hands on it.
    Sora is a decent groupset, I used it today on my tourer for the first time in ages and I'd forgotten how well it works.

I agree. I still ride the older (8 speed) Sora 3300 and I find it performs very well. It's quite hard wearing and long lasting (well, except the rear brake which is now 105). The STI levers are very comfortable. 15000km later, very happy with it. But I'll be upgrading to 3400 (the latest 9 speed incarnation of Sora) in January. Basically it's the bike's Christmas present.
    It's £699, so 100 over budget, but...

My first road bike was £1900 over budget. These things can't be helped. Don't fight it.
  • morxy
    Have to add that I'm biased towards most things Specialized, Cannondale or Scott. These are my favourite bike manufacturers.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My first road bike was £1900 over budget. These things can't be helped. Don't fight it.

Good advice :-) You'll never look at the bike and say, "damn, wish I'd saved that extra 100 quid after all!"

That CAAD9 is a bargain, they're 999 new with a Tiagra groupset never mind 105.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!