Why do we do it?

2»

Comments

• CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    andyrm wrote:
    I really don't get it. Replace things when they get broken with better things, fair enough. But upgrading just for the sake of upgrading is pointless.

Must admit that tends to be my replacement/upgrade time......

So you guys are saying you've never upgraded anything because it performs better? like tyres for instance.

I'm not really a bike tart either tbh, but if I can see an area of the bike I think I can modify to improve an aspect of my riding then I will, and if it's aesthetically more pleasing then I'll probably go for that (providing I don't have to sell a kidney to buy it).

Generally I'm one of those people who thinks mountain bikes look better covered in mud than bling! So I don't get hung up on shiny upgrades just for the sake of it.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    So the concensus so far is that, we're all tarts that fall for anything pretty?

Oh Hai!

I fall into that category. I'm also obsessive about weight, so not only will I buy a shiney new part, which is normally lighter that the component its replacing, I'll also buy shiney new Ti or Alu bolts/springs/washers/bits&bobs to go with it. I don't always need new stuff, but meh, it's my money. I don't drink, don't smoke and save £5 in fuel each day I ride to work, which automatically becomes bike upgrade funds.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    CycloRos wrote:
    andyrm wrote:
    So you guys are saying you've never upgraded anything because it performs better? like tyres for instance.

I'm not really a bike tart either tbh, but if I can see an area of the bike I think I can modify to improve an aspect of my riding then I will, and if it's aesthetically more pleasing then I'll probably go for that (providing I don't have to sell a kidney to buy it).

Generally I'm one of those people who thinks mountain bikes look better covered in mud than bling! So I don't get hung up on shiny upgrades just for the sake of it.

agree with all that.
    I didn't clean my bike after winn hill this weekend. Err.... don't think it's gonna look good for long :roll: best go put the rags to it today.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ya know... People riding tricky stuff on less good hardware always get more respect from me than people with really nice bikes. I mean, my hemlock barely needs a rider, throw it off a mountain and it'll roll down by itself, all I do is make it crash occasionally :lol: But stick an XC hardtail down a DH course or keep up with a big bike on a Carrera Kraken or something and you're doing something worth noticing. IMO of course ;)

So y'all should downgrade :lol: Sell your used stuff for a pittance and use it to buy less good new stuff
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    Northwind wrote:
    So y'all should downgrade :lol: Sell your used stuff for a pittance and use it to buy less good new stuff

So how do you explain the hemlock then :shock: Feels nice don't it - just curious as to how people explain this lovely warm gooey feeling you get when something CNCed arrived on your doormat. I agree, nails bikes rock.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    So how do you explain the hemlock then :shock:

Ah well, that's why I have to throw myself down downhill courses on it :lol:

But you're right, my advice applies only to everyone else, not to me.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    Northwind wrote:
    But you're right, my advice applies only to everyone else, not to me.

Another rule which applies to upgrades :) Do as I recommend and not as I do
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Upgrading becuase it rekindles that child-like excitment you used to get at Xmas is probably the closest thing to a reason I've come across so far :) I'm giggling like a girl at the thought my new Hope hoops will arrive today.

This does it for me...

Needed some new narrow chainring bolts, paid a little extra because I fancied them in red- far too excited about such a little thing when it turned up
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.